In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A little maintenance on the tractor this weekend

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mike bayerl, May 12, 2017.

  1. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    It looks like it will be cold and rainy all day tomorrow, so I think I'll try to tackle replacing the front axle seals on the L3710. There is a very small leak now, but the front end oil needed replacing anyways. I'm not much of a mechanic, but it looks straightforward enough. Tonight I got the wheels off and drained the oil. Wish me luck when I start taking the axle hubs apart tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
     
    campinspecter, Thor, HDRock and 3 others like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,633
    Likes Received:
    130,565
    Location:
    Vermont
    good luck! my niece did mine.. worked for dealer it took her half hour... cost me a fifth of Jim beam. that included parts with her discounts.. I watched soon I cannot help much!
     
    cnice_37 and mike bayerl like this.
  3. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Super jealous! I put in a solid 4-5 hours of fiddling and fussing. I got one side done. It should be good for a while. I may consider paying the labor at the dealer when I need to do the other side.
     
    Canadian border VT likes this.
  4. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,633
    Likes Received:
    130,565
    Location:
    Vermont
    well she left Kubota dealer and moved to a skidsteer dealer 3 hours away darn.. but she still comes up to see her friends so I get to steal Fer 1 day a month!
     
    mike bayerl likes this.
  5. clay shooter

    clay shooter

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2017
    Messages:
    1,419
    Likes Received:
    7,323
    Location:
    ENGLAND
    nice when a plan comes together.
     
  6. Will C

    Will C

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2015
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    4,987
    Location:
    New York
    My brother had to do that on his L3540. He had a local farm equipment repair man come and do both sides-fairly common repair and he had done several before.
     
  7. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Yep. It's a semi-consumable part in my book. Not if but when.
     
    Canadian border VT likes this.
  8. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,633
    Likes Received:
    130,565
    Location:
    Vermont
    yup like ball joint in a car..
     
    mike bayerl likes this.
  9. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    I just redid mine. The dealer stocks (5) sets of seals all the time. Very common problem with Kubota, BUT the set up is super simple. John Deere is a bear!
     
  10. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    How did you remove the old seal from the casting? I used a screw driver and hammer and I was not happy with the results. Next time, I think I'll try putting a screw in the old seal and using a slide hammer.(?) Any better idea?
     
  11. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    We did the same thing you did. The problem was we redid one side with a new seal, and then put the old seal back on the other side. We were planning on just doing one side, but the spider gears had broken on one side so we really should have gotten two seals.

    I say that because after a few weeks, the old seal started to leak so I got to redo the seal on that side again.

    I am just adding oil for now. I don' use the tractor much anyway this time of year, and have enough repair work with the bulldozer and skidder. I dropped the starter off to be rebuilt today on the bulldozer, and the skidder needs a new set of tire chains. Then there is that seal on the Kubota, the machine shop has my bush hog parts rebuilt so that needs to go back together, then I would like to finish that homemade sawmill I am making, get hydraulic hoses made for my upside down woodsplitter, put a new alternator on my wife's car, and if I ever get there, put a winch on my bulldozer so I can get rid of that !@#$%^&&*^ skidder!!

    Why...is that a jet I hear flying overhead? Nope, that is just LodgedTree whining about all the repair work he must do! :)
     
    Elvisss222 and mike bayerl like this.