In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

They're baaaack

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by papadave, Apr 25, 2017.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yep, the ticks have arrived here.
    Brother and I are building a deck for a friend, and bro had one crawling on his forearm yesterday.
    I got home, sat down at the kitchen table to yak with my wife, and saw something moving on my right shoulder out of the corner of my eye.
    Yep, a tick. Have I mentioned how much I hate the little bastages? Why yes, yes I have.
    This was after I had already done a pretty thorough check when I first got home. No idea where it was hiding.
    So, check yourself after being outside. Check your pets.
    Don't want any of our FHC brothers and sisters (or anybody else) getting Lyme. Others who've had it can attest how nasty that can be.
    I've been expecting this sooner than normal, due to the warmer winter.
     
  2. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,337
    Likes Received:
    31,520
    Location:
    Over here
    I hate mild winters for this reason. Skeeters gonna be terrible also. Have had 3 ticks on me already, two of them when I have had Deet applied.
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I noticed the skeeters two days ago in the late afternoon.
    I spray Permethrin mix on my pant cuffs several inches up, on my socks, and around shirt necks and cuffs as well.
    Wife got 9 Guineas last fall and raised 'em inside the old dog kennel. She let them out a few days ago, and after the first day, a few wandered off.:headbang:
    I saw 3 still hangin' around yesterday, but they were' "supposed" to be our tick eating machines. Last year, the 6 we had stuck around for about a month going round and round in the yard, eating up the bugs, before they all wandered off.
    Very few ticks last year....maybe five total on me and two of the dogs.
     
  4. RCBS

    RCBS

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2016
    Messages:
    6,337
    Likes Received:
    31,520
    Location:
    Over here
    I have considered keeping chickens for the sole purpose of bug reduction. Eggs would be a side benefit I suppose. Future project, too many irons as it is.
     
  5. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,336
    Location:
    Central PA
    We were all through the woods at Backwoods Savage 's place in mid-Michigan this past weekend and I didn't notice a tick.

    But you walk 10ft off of an open trail here in PA and you are likely gonna be covered in them. It's sickening......
     
  6. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Haven't noticed any at our place, and I check every time we go outside.
    They're out there.
     
    Stinny, Eric VW and Scotty Overkill like this.
  7. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    That's why I quit the nudist colony, they did not throw me out like they said on Facebook :p
     
  8. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    The Ole "Tick on the Tip" is a deal breaker for sure...
    :startled:
    :whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    blacksmith, Stinny, HDRock and 4 others like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,170
    Location:
    Central MI
    It is very rare to see ticks here but we have noticed a few over the last 2 years. Thankfully it is very few. But, the black flies surely have come out big time since you left. You were supposed to take some home with you.
     
    blacksmith, RCBS, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,382
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Kinda like the old Skeeter on my.....song? :picard:
     
  11. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    "There's a dozen on my cousin............"
     
  12. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,382
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I can hear the ..... buzzin
     
    Backwoods Savage, RCBS and Eric VW like this.
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I don't see any around my place, never had a problem with em.
    I'm not really in the country though
     
    Eric VW, Backwoods Savage and RCBS like this.
  14. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    O good it's just ticks whew I thought you where gonna say aliens!
     
  15. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I dont know if this works because I havnt tried it but I have been told it does buy an acquaintance who climbs for a living.



    To get rid of a TICK. This is important for us here in the southland. And.....we live in the woods!
    A nurse discovered a safe and easy way to remove ticks, making it less traumatic for the patient and easier for you.
    Here's a way to eliminate them on you, your children and your pets.
    Apply a small amount of liquid soap on a cotton ball
    Cover the tick with the soap soaked cotton ball
    Blot it for a few seconds ( 15-20 )
    The tick will spontaneously detach and stick to the cotton as you remove it.
    Notify everyone! This may help so many, especially with those hard to reach areas.
    Tip: Keep liquid soap & cotton balls in your summer first aid kit.
     
    Eric VW, Stinny, Thor and 4 others like this.
  16. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Got out of the shower 3 days ago and had a tick latched on my shoulder... :headbang:... either came in on one of the dogs or ? Hates em... :deadhorse:(the ticks... not the dogs...)
     
  17. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    So, it seems like the last couple days these little buggers are comin' on strong.
    Found a couple more on Casper, and one on my right hand yesterday after being outside for a while.
    I did a little experiment with the bastage (I felt like Dr. Frankenstein, except in reverse, cause I didn't think he'd survive) using some "Repel" spray.
    He wandered around for a while and then started acting like he was drunk.......anybody here know what that's like?
    Anyway, he finally expired, and the main ingredient in the spray is Deet, at 40% concentration. I was shocked, but in a gooder way.
    So, now we know.
     
    Eric VW, Stinny and HDRock like this.
  18. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    The ticks are pretty bad here this year too. Found three crawling on my daughter the other day. I've had three latched onto me, and found multiple ones crawling on me too.

    Couldn't count how many on the puppy so far.
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  19. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire
    I live pretty darn close to you and the people in my town have been talking about how bad they've been this year.

    Went to York beach with the wife and kids this past Saturday and we went up to the top of Mt. A to walk around a bit. After that we got some pizza for dinner and I had one crawling up the inside of my pant legs as I was eating.

    Price of enjoying the great outdoors; beats getting mauled by a grizzlie I guess even though we don't have those in new england.
     
    Eric VW and Stinny like this.
  20. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    download.jpg
    Pretty much after the snow is gone they show up.
    As a kid I used to spend the whole day barefoot in the woods and never get one.
    Now if you step off the the grass there s 5 of'em.

    Literally pick a dozen off each dog (X4dogs) after a walk.

    There are new-r diseases being spread besides lime as well you need to watch out for!
     
    RCBS and papadave like this.