In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Feeling Good

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, Apr 13, 2017.

  1. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    As I mentioned earlier, I was going to spend part of today cutting down a tree beside the front garden. I dropped a small poplar on Tuesday and while there was no mishap the tree did not drop where I intended. Today was a small sweetgum; about 12 in/30.5 cm at the base of the tree. Most of the limbs on the tree were towards the house (you can see this in the first photo) and the tree had a lean towards the house; if it fell toward the house it would hit the house and I did not want that to happen; I gauged where the tree would fall using the stick trick. I have been watching some videos on felling and some of the videos discussed directing the fall of the tree using the hinge; cutting the hinge narrower at one side. I also watched some videos on how to use a retainer line although I was not able to tie off 90* to the direction of fall. I still need some practice on cutting the notch and I tend to not keep my back cut level as you can see in the photo of the hinge. Over all, I feel pretty good as the tree dropped exactly where I wanted it to drop. The tree had a funny fork at the top; damaged at some time in the past.

    sweetgum_dropped.jpg
    sweetgum_fork.jpg
    sweetgum_hinge.jpg
     
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Getting the retainer line in the tree was harder than cutting it down. I tied a heavy metal bob to the rope and after numerous tries and running for cover so it would not bang me in the head, I managed to get it over the limb I desired; and there it hung. I thought the bob would be heavy enough to pull the rope over the limb but the answer was no; after much shaking of rope and saying a few magic words I managed to get the bob to drop a few more inches. Finally with the help of the step ladder and my pole saw (not motorised, one of those things with a saw blade at the end) I was able to pull the bob and rope to the ground.
     
  3. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Oops, small edit, the poplar was dropped on Tuesday; hope that did not confuse anyone.
     
  4. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,079
    Likes Received:
    29,331
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Does anyone else see the face in the cut on the first picture? First thing I thought was the tree was screaming in agony.
    Good job Kim.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Kimberly like this.
  5. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    You're making progress, but a sticking point....most of us (and you) live into the US.... smell what I'm stepping in?
    Yep, throwing a weighted line up into a tree is hard work, too. Take your time, breathe between misses.
     
    yooperdave, Woodsnwoods and Kimberly like this.
  6. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    anthropomorphism
     
    Oldman47 and Woodsnwoods like this.
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I'm sorry, it's late. So I lean in, and ask, "Come again?"
    Not like the movie "Snatch" I might add....
     
    Woodsnwoods and Kimberly like this.
  8. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Yes, but I think there are a few on here not in the states; I give both at times.

    Anyway, I was thinking today I wonder if there are any classes locally I could take, go out with a master where I have someone that can say, stop, you are doing that wrong and show the correct way. I know these trees can kill you in a heartbeat.
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  9. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Well, maybe not in the true sense of the word but in the general area.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Eric VW like this.
  10. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Maybe, yes....
    But what happens when the Master is not around you on your land, say-after such a class?
    What if a fell involves a tree with center rot? Hopefully such an individual can teach you how to "read" the tree, but it is always a game of chance... tie the darn thing off, no matter how long it takes, or don't cut trees close to perishables in the first place.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Kimberly like this.
  11. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I don't understand why I angle the tip of the saw towards the ground when making the backcut; if you notice, the hinge was shorter on that side. I guess I can try to compensate by knowing I do it. I had to cut to the left of the tree because that was my only clear escape path.
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  12. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I feel pretty good with this; of course it was a small tree but it had two things, branches only on one side, and a lean to that side as well. Can I do a happy dance? :banana:
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  13. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Yes. Do it. That scenario is almost a no-brainer.:yes:
    To overcome this takes skill, time, and practice...
    And yes, once you notice this tendency, reset your brain to adapt and adjust for it.
    You, being a University Grad and a sciencee gal, have to be able to see your body and saw position in 3 space, else you will always produce similar results. And the bigger the tree or more severe the outcome (given proximity to perishables), the more thought YOU must apply.
    Have fun!
     
    Woodsnwoods and Kimberly like this.
  14. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I know my mistake on the retainer line. I need to use a thinner lighter rope; masonry twine would be ideal, and then use the masonry twine to pull the larger rope up into the tree. I was surprised at the amount of friction between the rope and bark of the tree.
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  15. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    pareidolia ?
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  16. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    Maybe what I need is for someone to come to the property and teach me.
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  17. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Good job:thumbs:
    Green leaves already. :yes:

    I did see a mosquito today :(

    I tie off & pull some even in the woods with no structures around, getting a hanger is time consuming & can be dangerous.

    When using a rope to keep tension/pull in the direction it's to go,
    I use an even 1" thick hinge
     
    Woodsnwoods, Kimberly and Eric VW like this.
  18. Kimberly

    Kimberly

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    Messages:
    5,072
    Likes Received:
    12,819
    Location:
    The Kangaroo State
    I decided to take down a small poplar behind the back veggie garden before I put the fence back up. Not a very large tree, about the same as the sweetgum. It too had a side lean and branches on one side. I did not want to take the fence post down but was sure I could miss the post. I figure these small trees are good practice trees and I need to get them out of the way and they will provide a bit of firewood.

    back_garden_poplar_1.jpg
    back_garden_poplar_2.jpg
     
    Dsltech and Woodsnwoods like this.
  19. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Felling to me is basic physics. as long as center of mass is on the side you want the tree to go, perfect. Cutting the proper hinge is critical. If you get to thin on the side way from center off mass, it can break and the tree could go where it wants. You seem to have the right approach though. Working with smaller trees can be harder as there simply is not a lot of diameter, making the accuracy of the hinge a little harder to maintain. I use a ladder, 100 ft rope and come alongs if I need to shift the tree against the direction the tree naturally wants to fall. I think you are doing better than most people. Not a lot of people know what the hinge does, let alone cutting them right
     
    Lone_Gun likes this.
  20. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,713
    Likes Received:
    224,339
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Are you serious? :doh: