In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pfft.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FatBoy85, Apr 6, 2017.

  1. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Spring is here for sure, I have to let you guys know that some of these are just laughable. I've picked up wood in this size but it gets old. I would think the folks who would post this wood just freaking burn the stuff up. IMG_1314.PNG IMG_1316.PNG IMG_1317.PNG
     
    Woodsnwoods, Horkn, Gasifier and 5 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,574
    Location:
    US
    If it's free, that's one thing....even branch wood is gooder for at least the f pit.
    Otherwise, there's a $ucker born er'y minute. A few were born e'ry minute years ago, too.:whistle:
    :salute:
     
  3. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Eric VW I was hoping you'd be one to comment here. The reason why I laugh is these posts are often just ridiculous in their own way. The caveat here is often when I find a posting for superior wood (madrone birch etc or cedar for that matter) then they are often up north about an hour away or so from me. I am always tempted. It gets hard to sit and see a CL POST that actually ranks pretty good in my side of the woods. But hey there are some like these where you just scroll up and find a better one. It's a ranking. Im up there with crazies but the yard space I gotta negotiate with the 4 legged ladies first. They allowed my birch. Now going "whoah papa, lets take it down a knot*"

    As that gets stacked up I'm sure it will work out.
     
  4. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I've never been on Craigslist, and now I think I know why. Every stick counts if you don't have much. And who can't use use a few extra chunks of concrete.:rofl: :lol:
     
    UncleJoe, Hellcat, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  5. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Perfectly valid reasons to get the small stuff I'm not begging for wood here but if I don't fill my trailer its not worth it so I'll let someone else get it. The ones that are worth it are 2 mins from my house and and I fill my car up and its usually dry!
     
  6. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,296
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    They made a mistake it should have said "vintage concrete chunks"
     
    Hellcat, Gasifier, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  7. Erik B

    Erik B

    Joined:
    May 12, 2015
    Messages:
    5,654
    Likes Received:
    39,102
    Location:
    Western Wisconsin
    Don't you mean "seasoned" concrete chunks:rofl: :lol:
     
  8. Babaganoosh

    Babaganoosh

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2015
    Messages:
    1,137
    Likes Received:
    3,828
    Location:
    Jersey Shore
    I've got plenty of wood thru Craigslist. You just have to skip the ones without pictures and be quick one the draw for the good ones.
     
  9. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Oh yeah I replied to one ad couple months back wood that was underneath a deck. It was bone dry from what I could see and a lot of it. It was gone very quick because I didn't hear back. I will respond to them by phone text if they have it but no photo. Usually they give me one! Thats how I got the birch I recently trucked. No photo but they were happy to send me something! I'm actually finding myself responding to those more because they are readily wanting to get rid of it and its actually ample supply. Almost 3 cord in all. The most wood I've trucked out in a 24 hour period.

    The wood ads come a lot more in the spring and its hard to keep up. But once you find one in decent driving range(20-30 for me) It seems to pay for itself. Just getting it stacked and deal with it a litte later is what I've often done. Wood being that freshly cut is DAMM heavy.
     
    Gasifier and Eric VW like this.
  10. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,296
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Or in eBay terms "rare"
     
  11. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    I prefer medium rare.
     
    Gasifier and Eric VW like this.
  12. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    You gotta get that concrete man!



    :rofl: :lol:
     
    FatBoy85 likes this.
  13. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,852
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    Wonder what the concrete reads on the mm?

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
    Gasifier and FatBoy85 like this.
  14. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Well lets see if its 'checking'
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  15. MikeInMa

    MikeInMa

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2016
    Messages:
    15,856
    Likes Received:
    114,852
    Location:
    Southern Worcester county
    And, do they he6ed to be split? Horizontal or vertical?

    Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
     
  16. Screwloose

    Screwloose

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2017
    Messages:
    5,632
    Likes Received:
    33,296
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    A lot of people will never ever even try to open a Craigslist account to give away wood. A lot of people will look at Craigslist for"wanted ...." Ads however to get rid of wood.
    However be careful of what category you list in or you'll get offers giving away the wrong "wood"
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  17. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    I've pulled about 8-10 cords of free hardwood home in the past 3 months from Craigslist. All within a 25 minute drive from here. Nearly half was 5 minutes away.

    I need to start skipping the Oak now. I am all set for year three, but maybe a third of what I think I will need for the next two years at this point.
     
    Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.
  18. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    FatBoy85 likes this.
  19. FatBoy85

    FatBoy85

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2017
    Messages:
    6,611
    Likes Received:
    25,253
    Location:
    Washington State
    Its just nice to say that you're set for a bit. Im the same way but I need to maintain the wood for in between so I have wood that is able to season for the next year and not wait 2-4 years like the oak. The wood needs to be something easy to season and while I have plenty of wood, its no use having wood that isn't seasoned. Firs likely. Another good thing is that although oak here isnt as tight ringed as older oak out east Its the heat thats gonna keep this house going great when it's ready 2020. I best get this split into a variety of sizes to choose from so the sweet spot of heat can be accomplished
     
    Mwalsh9152 likes this.
  20. Mwalsh9152

    Mwalsh9152

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2017
    Messages:
    5,325
    Likes Received:
    38,830
    Location:
    Pelham NH
    I have about 2-3 cords of Maple that half was bucked for 2 years, and half just dropped. Then I have about the same in Black Locust. So I guess Im probably more like halfway there. But I will be running two new stoves, and my first year hopefully running exclusively on wood, so Im not sure how much I will really need, so go big or go home is my plan for this spring.
     
    Backwoods Savage, Horkn and FatBoy85 like this.