In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Severe Weather

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Feb 17, 2014.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  2. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    So. Ummm. I can't break out the shorts yet here?
     
  3. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    It is now showing a possible high of 44° here on Friday! 70% chance of rain. :( There will be some melting going on that day. I will have to be walking/checking out the Oswegatchie River after a several days of 35+.
     
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Wow thanks for the uplifting weather report....;):mad:
    That looks like it will effect us and I love the fact they are predicting this crap to last through March..... Ughhh
     
  5. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
    STOP SNOWING SO I CAN COOK OUTSIDE!!!!! o_O
     
    milleo, gbreda, 343amc and 1 other person like this.
  6. Daryl

    Daryl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,164
    Likes Received:
    4,239
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I would think parts of New York State will be in that area with the warm up, just not sure how far north that area will expand.

    Stay Safe
     
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  9. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Saying we're gonna get another 4"-8". Gonna hafta go shoein after this one… :D cause they're calling for rain showers Friday… :zip:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  10. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Tractor won't start with all the cold. Need to jump it, since my brother has the charger.:mad:
    No plowing for me today.:confused:
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  11. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    It is pouring the rain down on top of all the snow right now......... this is going to be a mess!
     
  12. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I'm guessing it turns to sleet or freezing rain tonight?
     
  13. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Don't know yet they say it could..... It just depends on where the temp tonight stops.
     
  14. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Can always count on your weather heads up. Up to 6" again tomorrow morning. Low 40's throughout the week sets up what may become severe later in the week. Be safe all.
     
  15. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I was telling Overkill that we wanted snow, you've gotten more than we have.
     
  16. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    You better go cut dead standing wood, cold weather will last through March.

    This weekend I'll be covering two stacks (both 16 feet long) just to be safe, both stacks are .61 of a cord. One is some dead elm along with some soft maple, the other is some of next years shoulder season wood.
     
    Gasifier likes this.
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    This weather/snow amounts was quite normal during the 80's and 90's
    After that, big snows have been hit or miss, usually miss. I have been reading up on a more permanent shift in the jet stream, but obviously too soon to know, and another el Nino year coming up. The snow here is quite deep, leading to wearing snow shoes. Non- drift areas my leg went down 3 ft, and I must admit, it's fun. But after about a 5 minute walk, I started panting. Snow shoes only sank about 4" making a short hike in the woods manageable. The splitter, although covered, is buried to the beam, no way the grizzly is coming out of the shed. Actually, I wouldn't mind getting it out to see how deep she can go. :)
     
    thewoodlands and Gasifier like this.
  18. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Wow was it windy here last night!! It is still howling big time out there! Luckily no ice though!
     
    thewoodlands likes this.
  19. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    I still have plenty of wood to get through the middle of April. I made sure I had plenty for this winter, just like every winter. I usually end up giving or selling 1/2 cord to a brother who runs out early. LOL. But, if need be, you are right. I can go cut dead standing. Lots of that on the property.
     
    Woodwidow and thewoodlands like this.
  20. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I mentioned to the wife we might switch back over to burning Cherry, she wants to keep burning the good stuff, I'll zip the pants on this one! :popcorn: