In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Building Off The Grid: Coastal Maine... DIY TV show... crazy.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Stinny, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Stinny

Stinny

We watched this show last night and I still can't believe what they ended up with for a structure. It's worth finding if you like to see how folks "plan" for ... everything... or not. While impressive that they got the 16'x20' cabin built in 12 days with 5 guys... what they end up with is supposed to provide shelter for the couple and their 4 small kids. It ended up with a tin roof with no insulation under it, just the metal roofing ... heated by a very small wood stove. Wonder if there was a way to check up on them now to see if they actually tried living in it. I wish them well.

MAINE ESCAPE
    Building Off the Grid: Coastal Maine
    Jason and Crystal set their sights on building a 320-square-foot cabin in just 12 days. Between the weather, rough terrain and limited access, it's a challenging and exhausting road to the finish line.

milleo, Eric VW, Fanatical1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

I love watching shows like this.

My wife and I, and our dogs could easily live off grid.

Eric VW and Stinny like this.
  3. Stinny

Stinny

Once in a while I'll ask my honey if she'd like to sell our house and live at our cabin... I get the usual look... o_O... :rofl: :lol:... ahhh, to be a younger man. Not in the cards I'm thinkin'... :whistle:

papadave, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  4. chris

chris

Seems to me I just saw a cl ad here abouts some 30 acres 40x90 pole shed part of which partitioned off with living area- all I would need- just me and the pups

Horkn, Eric VW, Stinny and 1 other person like this.
  5. Stinny

Stinny

I just saw a schedule... said this show would air again on March 13 @ 9 PM eastern.

Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  6. Stinny

Stinny

Reminds me of Fanatical1 ... isn't that how your place is built Fan?

7. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Yep, living in a garage... :) :eek: Hard to convince wives that this is a good idea, not sure why. :whistle:
    Dog likes it though...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

milleo, Horkn, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  8. scavenger

scavenger

I thought you had to live in Utah to have more than one wife.....

milleo, Horkn, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  9. Stinny

Stinny

"Hard to convince wives that this is a good idea, not sure why. :whistle:"... :rofl: :lol:

10. chris

chris

Ex wives are like rubarb - no mater how you cut it off it keeps coming back.

Mitch Newton, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  11. Butcher

Butcher

It is after all a T.V. show. Most of them like this IMHO are all B.S. anymore. I dont know if any of you have ever seen the film Alone in the wilderness, a show about a fellow Iowan who left to live for 30 years in the Alaskan wilderness, but to me this is the epitome of off grid living.

www.DickProenneke.com - "Alone in the Wilderness" is the story of duck Proenneke living in the Alaska wilderness. duck filmed his adventures so he could show his relatives in the lower 48 states what life was like in Alaska, building his cabin, hunting for food and exploring the area. Bob Swerer has taken the best footage from duck's films and he has created 3 videos about duck, "Alone in the Wilderness", "Alaska, Silence and Solitude" and "The Frozen North". You can purchase all of them in DVD or VHS format from the www.DickProenneke.com website.

Fanatical1, reprod, milleo and 8 others like this.
  12. Stinny

Stinny

Ole duck wrote the book...

Horkn, fox9988, Eric VW and 1 other person like this.
  13. Butcher

Butcher

This ole boy would be 1 to ride the river with too.

I am ashamed I aint got the nads some of the real old timers had or still do.:picard:

milleo, fishingpol, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  14. Horkn

Horkn

My wife is the one bringing that thought up first at my house. You know what that means.:whistle:

Stinny and Fanatical1 like this.
  15. mywaynow

mywaynow

Most of those Northern Coastal cabins are vacant during the winter months. I was there on vacation both of the last 2 summers, for a week each summer. One of the locals was detailing how the temps were -30 for 3 weeks straight. Thus the empty cabins.

fishingpol, Stinny and Horkn like this.
  16. Stinny

Stinny

Yup... living in a cabin like this couple built, year round, would be impossible without some serious changes... like insulation and at least a better woodstove. Oh... and some firewood would be good too... dry even... :picard:We had a good laugh watching them show off their outdoor "shower" to their friends... thinking about how much they're gonna enjoy that on a nice frosty winter day... :zip: The whole reason they said they were building this place was to move there to live. Gotta try and keep track of their story.

Horkn and fishingpol like this.
  17. fishingpol

fishingpol

I've watched a few of those "tiny house" shows to see what the big attraction is. I think people just want to be part of the latest fad or a reality show. It seems selfish to want to live like that just because it is "in" and they can write a blog about it. Family safety and security first.

Horkn likes this.