In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Looking for tips on firewood sales.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Fraueny, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Fraueny

Fraueny

New to the site. Have been watching Life in Farmland channel on youtube and he suggested this site as a great source for information.
    I have a hip condition that is going to force me out of my current line of work and until I find something else I figured I would have plenty of time to cut some firewood to sell next fall and winter. I have plenty of access to locust and hedge that we girdled on a friends farm(trying to help along his oak and walnut) so those two are going to be primarily what I will sell. My plan is to have face cords set on pallets that people can pull alongside and load directly into their trucks and to pull off them to do deliveries when I get such an order.
    I know prices vary depending on demand and location but just thought I would put my plan out there to see if anyone had any thoughts or tips for me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Welcome to FHC, Life on Farmland is an excellent channel and I subscribe to it myself. Keep wood on pallets is good, keeps it up off the wet ground. Some top cover would be even better, especially if someone is buying wood for camping on a cool day after a rain. Keep an eye out for theives!

3. Woodshax

Woodshax

I would recommend selling by the stick.....The smaller the quantity (bundles and bags) the greater the profit! We sell strictly at DFW area State parks and average about $1100.00 a cord selling to campers. Hard to keep the parks stocked ...even in the summer

4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Welcome to our humble abode! Firewood sales, that's a tricky question.....a lot of factors go into that. Region, state laws, type of wood sold, local demand in your area, how easily it can be accessed for processing, seasoning, etc....

We have a few guys on here that do it. I personally keep most of the stuff I cut (oak, locust, hard maple, beech, hickory) and I give quite a bit of the rest away (in rounds, unseasoned). I've never sold it.

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum Fraueny

Selling for sure depends a lot on location and/if you can deliver too. Selling to campgrounds is probably the ultimate and where you would get the best price. I have a friend who basically put his kid through college selling firewood to campgrounds! Now that is ideal!

I'd cut all into 16" length unless someone orders special length (give that option). Special length, charge more.

Good luck.

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hello there Fraueny :salute:
    Check out Woodshax set up.....
    Firewood vending machine comments
    Wishing you success in this endeavor :yes:

7. Fraueny

Fraueny

I have thought about that but only one State Park near me to where that would be worth my time and effort but only has a small campground. If I was further south near the ozarks im sure I could make a killing. Thanks for the tip though.

8. Blazing

Blazing

First on foremost be honest about what you're selling and how dry it really is. Look at the market around you and price accordingly. It's hard to make money selling wood so keep track of of the nickels and dimes make sure you are making money.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Welcome to FHC Fraueny .... :handshake:... nice to have you around...

10. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Welcome to the forum. :pete: :cheers:

11. Woodsnwoods

Woodsnwoods

Welcome. Camp grounds and rich people.....

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Welcome aboard.

Sell firewood that is dry so when a fire is to be lit, it'll light. Every kid deserves a campfire while camping....not a smouldering smudge pot.
    Leave the bark on the wood. Looks more rustic and "roughing it" type of firewood.
    Don't try to make a killing on a bundle, but don't undersell your work-be fair.

13. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

:bug::makeitrain"

14. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Welcome! My 1st thought is going into firewood business with a preexisting hip condition might be risky. I'm sure you know it's hard-azz work.

15. Jason845

Jason845

I think one of the best things a firewood seller can do is be honest about how seasoned the wood is.

A log that has been sitting on the ground for 2 years that is bucked, split and loaded the day it is ordered is not seasoned wood, at all, although most Craigslist sellers think that is the exact definition of "seasoned custom firewood delivery".

I would rather give my money to a guy who is honest and tells me it was split this morning than the guy who either lies or doesn't know about it.

Backwoods Savage and Ashwatcher like this.
  16. Fraueny

Fraueny

Ya I will make sure I am honest about the firewood..Growing up I didnt have central air or a furnace until I was in 8th grade so I have seen it all when it comes to firewood. I remember one time a kid sold my dad green elm and told him it was seasoned oak and my dad paid him for it but made sure he was properly educated for the next time he sold to anyone.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. reprod

reprod

I say go for it. If you already own a saw, axe and have access to wood, most of your initial investment is taken care of. Put an ad on craigslist and see if it works out. Get your feet wet to see if you like it. Nice earning a few extra bucks when work is slow. Find out what your customers like. I am amazed how many people like small splits of wood.
    I agree with Backwoods Savage on the length. I cut everything 16" unless special ordered.
    Good luck

18. Felter

Felter Banned

sell bundles. you'll make twice as much and still sell for less than the gas station.

Backwoods Savage and yooperdave like this.
  19. Woodshax

Woodshax

Sell bundles and make 4 times as much!!!! just find the right place....some of our parks are over a 100 miles away but we can hit others on the way.....at $1100.00 a cord it more than pays for the gas

Felter, Backwoods Savage and Fraueny like this.
  20. Grahamt

Grahamt

Greetings , nice idea but I can't even get enough to keep my obsession going .
    Good luck