In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

No good deed goes unpunished! Really!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Star Gazer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon1270

Jon1270

Keep in mind that mice have much faster metabolisms than you and I, so they eat more relative to their body weight. LD50 for theobromine in humans is about 1000mg/kg, so if you want to spare the mice a lot of unnecessary suffering, you might try eating 78 pounds of Nutella over the next few days. That'll have about the same effect.

clemsonfor, MasterMech, basod and 4 others like this.
  2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

If your neighbors are watching here I bet they are contacting the authorities right now about your animal abuse and your plan to abuse more animals in the near future.

3. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

The fudge weighs in at between 26 and 32 grams per piece so the average would be 29 grams per piece. Sorry, I didn't weigh the remaining Nutella Fudge to see exactly how much was consumed by the mice. But they only consumed roughly half of what I gave them or 29 grams.
    Nutella Spread contains 7.4% cocoa powder and 55% sugar. A typical serving size is one tablespoon which is about 20 grams.
    Nutella. The full (correct) list of ingredients - Catherine Saxelby's Foodwatch

In the fudge, it's hard to determine what amount of extra sugars and such were added but here is a list of those ingredients, that is if it was the recipe that was used:
    • 1/2 cup salted butter (you can use unsalted, but the salt brings out the sweetness)
    • 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
    • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1 cup Nutella
    • 2 1/2 cups – 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
    Taken from this site: Incredible Nutella Fudge
    So to be on the safe side I'll load up a container with 100 grams of nutella for the mice to consume. Yes, I do have scales. (for pounds & grams, and grams & carats)

Maybe the mice ODed on sugar!:confused:

papadave likes this.
  4. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

QUICK LOOK BEHIND YOU!:hair:

clemsonfor, MasterMech, Docwu and 6 others like this.
  5. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

I'd probably have to eat a lot more than 78# considering only 7.4% is Coco powder in order to achieve a reasonably toxic level of theobromine.

6. TBONE

TBONE

LMAO!!!!!

clemsonfor, WeldrDave, basod and 2 others like this.
  7. Jon1270

Jon1270

Yeah, at that rate you'd have to eat about 190 pounds of Nutella to get that toxic dose of theobromine... but that's not the only health hazard here. As noted in the wikipedia article, pancreatitis from the fat and sugar can also do it (and takes several days). Really, you're not proving anything at all here. It's exceedingly unlikely that your neighbors are trying to poison you, but it's absolutely certain that you are poisoning the mice. Consider another pastime.

8. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Oh no, say it isn't so! :( :rofl: :lol:

Heck, I have experimented with mice since I was back in grade school. Do you know a mouse that consumes only Cheerios or carrots will die of cancer in few months?

And yes, I intend to keep on with experiments using mice as my guinea pigs. And when I'm done with them, if they died, I'll feed them to the crows!

9. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

YIKKKES! :bug:

clemsonfor, papadave and JIMBETHYNAME like this.
  10. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

11. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Actually, it will prove something. If the mice quit eating within 2 to 3 days and are dead in 5 to 6 then I will be the first to admit I was wrong and jumping to conclusions. Even being PARANOID! However I have my doubts they will die with using just the Nutella. If they do die, I will dissect them to examine their pancreas.

So as soon as I go into town, I'll pick up some Nutella and catch a couple of mice. Then the experiment will commence. Maybe to go one step further, I'll make some Nutella Fudge myself and experiment on another mouse or two if the first experiment with just the Nutella doesn't kill the first mice. And, I will also dissect them to examine their pancreas.

I also have the a scalpel as well as a microscope to use for this!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  12. blacksmith

blacksmith

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

Maybe the dairy in the fudge went funky monkey and caused the demise of the mice.

I eat my MIL's cooking, so I should really learn more about all of this.
    :popcorn:

basod, raybonz, papadave and 2 others like this.
  14. TBONE

TBONE

Can you post photos or even better a video of the autopsy? We will need proper documentation.

DNH, Docwu, WeldrDave and 4 others like this.
  15. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

WeldrDave and Chvymn99 like this.
  16. papadave

papadave

Star Gazer , good to see you're keeping your sense of humor through this assassination attempt.
    78 lbs. of Nutella could get expensive. 190 lbs. would just be plain bankrupting.
    I'm going to suggest not going to their house for dinner......at least until you've killed some more mice.

17. savemoney

savemoney

Did the mice have access to water while in the pail? I bet they died of stress. To think the neighbor tried to poison you is an indication that this should be discussed with your primary care MD.

DNH, WeldrDave, milleo and 4 others like this.
  18. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

Just a thought, but send the fudge out to a lab for testing.

19. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Listen, Doctor Doolittle-
    How do you know you specimen mice are up to lab mice specs?
    What if they're a bunch of inbred sucka's who can't tolerate ANY sugar or the Theo-Huxtable-Bromine? Or even CHEESE?
    What if your bucket Habitrol had some contamination present?
    Are you sure some of the neighbor's mice aren't in on this attempt to snuff you? They coulda kept them test mice alive a day or two extra just to mess with you....ya know, slippin' them poor chocoholics some H2O, a little insulin maybe?

All this C.S.I.N.C. is making me crave sumpin.....
    I know! Some chocolate starfish bites....mmmmmm- scrumptious :whistle:

Hope ya figure it out....:yes:
    :rofl: :lol::D

20. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I aint paranoid, the voices in my head said so. :faint:Maybe some hemorrhoids :hair:One thing i'll say about the meece, if one dies first the other one will eat it. I have a minnow trap I leave behind the woodshed and the mice crawl into and die. If 2 crawl in one will eat the other. Can you imagine mousy heaven? Youre in line at the little pearly gates and the guy you ate is right in front of you.:doh: And you both have Nutella breath! :rofl: :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.