In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Heavy Snow or Rain?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Jan 19, 2017.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,481
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    It was all rain for us recently. Next week, sounds like we might get snow again. Who knows.

    It's going to be nearly 50° over the weekend, and it's been in the 40's all week.
     
  3. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,726
    Likes Received:
    224,435
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    I tried driving into the cottage a little before I got "stopped" by the snow last Sunday. Everything underneath was sugar snow and with the tires I have it was no go.

    Today, I backed into a customers unplowed yard with absolutely no problems. No spinning sliding or nothing. The snow all the way to the ground was the wet sticky stuff (snowman snow) due to the warm days we had this week.


    .....So, I guess if you get the rain, you'll at least have some nice sticky snow for awhile.
     
  4. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Come on snow!!!!
     
  5. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    Early forecasts tend to say they think it will head NE as it leaves the plains which will take it north of us. But it may come back down in the New England area. Time will tell. Our forecast right now says if we get some it will probably be rain.
     
    savemoney and Horkn like this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,726
    Likes Received:
    224,435
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Rain then, huh?
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  9. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,481
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    That's what I'm hearing.

    I want snow, especially up in the northern half of my state.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    We are in that area that could go either way, rain, snow or ice. Maybe all three. We have been getting rain about half the time. Tuesday's high is predicted to be 36 with a low of 34. That usually means wet.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  11. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,726
    Likes Received:
    224,435
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Trails are really taking a beating here!!!
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  12. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,481
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    I know. I'm not happy about that either.
     
    Backwoods Savage and yooperdave like this.
  13. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Trails in my area of the state are not useable. Need to go the hills or north to get better trails. Too bad. One really popular trail runs right by my house. Used to see long lines of snowmobiles when the trail was good.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  14. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,481
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    At some point, we'll have a decent several winter sledding seasons again and I'll buy a new sled again. Right now, paying 10-15k for a new sled is not worth it.
     
  15. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    If you calculated how much every hour of use cost for a sled like that, you would wonder what on earth were you thinking when you bought it. You really have to put on a lot of hours to make any sense out of it.
     
  16. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,647
    Likes Received:
    130,670
    Location:
    Vermont

    this is true! but that's why I only buy snowmobile in June after a winter like this! 20 miles just wait for the right one right price... and mine are all old with newest being 2008? 550 skidoo 1500 miles for for 1200 cash...
     
    Backwoods Savage and savemoney like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    I think if it comes, it will be in the northern parts of both WI and MI and not to forget MN too.
     
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,190
    Location:
    Central MI
    It's been a long time since we've owned a snow machine. I'd have to move back up north before I'd consider one. The atv seems a smarter way to go but I also remember some good times we had riding the machines in deep snow.
     
    yooperdave and savemoney like this.