In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Need some advice.....smokers

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by swags, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Set it and (just about) forget it! I'd like to try that, but my buddies wouldn't let me live it down- they call that "BBQ cheatin' " :confused:
    We don't all have 8-12 hours to kill on a Saturday just to babysit a charcoal fired smoker, but it's what I got till I do something about it:handshake:

Chvymn99 and raybonz like this.
  2. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Charcoal smoking is a royal PIA! The turkeys we have had off an electric smoker is every bit as good as charcoal if not better! Easy to overheat with charcoal and with electric you never run out of fuel.. You can safely run an electric smoker on a wooden deck without fear of burning your house down too..The only drawback would be you need an oven if you want crispy skin..

Chvymn99 and Eric VW like this.
  3. swags

swags Moderator

I would get the one with a digital control like you mentioned. Having the ability to walk away is nice. I ended up getting basically that smoker without the digital control. Should have spent a few more bucks. It does work but have to baby sit it a lot more

Chvymn99, Eric VW and raybonz like this.
  4. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

That's why I want the digital temp control.. Great to set a real number instead of turning a knob and see where the temp goes! My son-in-law's you have to do this and my experience with capillary (analog) type temp controls is they aren't very accurate and tend to drift so what give the right temp today might not give the same temp tomorrow.. You could always add a digital temp controller with a thermocouple but it's better to start with one.. I also have a digital probe that measures internal food temp and ambient temp which I will use.. How do you like the smoker otherwise?

Eric VW likes this.
  5. swags

swags Moderator

Love it,
    I use it for when I want to smoke really low temps. Anything above 200 I'll use my Traeger.

Chvymn99, Eric VW and raybonz like this.
  6. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Over time I have used and spent too much money on vertical, horizontal, charcoal, propane and wood smokers. If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved a lot of cash and time.

My only issue I have know is trying to talk myself into buying a secondary pellet smoker for more surface area and different temps. The suggestion to get something with a controller is a very good suggestion. If I had the time to sit with a smoker all day and monitor it I would end up drinking too much.

Eric VW and raybonz like this.
  7. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

So what are you using for a smoker? I hear you with babysitting a smoker all day as I would be drunk as a skunk too!

Eric VW and OhioStihl like this.
  8. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

My current smoker is a Traeger, it has served me well but I have looked at other brands of pellet smokers to add to the cooking hobby. I would also look at electric smokers. My house is surrounded by great smoking wood and I feel guilty sometimes when I use pellets. The other point of view is I have smoked overnight while sleeping and went for motorcycle rides and spent time with family while smoking with a pellet smoker.
    When I add another smoker it will be pellet or electric with a controller. Friends of mine have good luck with the big green egg style smokers. They just aren't for me.

All of my past and current smokers have produced smoke food that got rave reviews and also made my dog turn its nose up. Whatever you end up getting have a good time with it.

9. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Check out rec tek or Yoder Pellet smokers. I have a green mountain but know guys with each of these. The yoder is built like a tank. Rectek has some really great features and options. All depends on dealer support, much like saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

A friend of mine has a Rec Tec and the customer service is fantastic.

11. Elderthewelder

Elderthewelder

I would love a rectek, Yoder or a Fast Eddy, all of witch cost an arm and a leg. so i opted with my Green Mountain. It serves me well

12. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Well I have been doing loads of research and didn't realize you can add a control system onto my grill.. I settled on the PartyQ control system for the Kamado Akorn grill and will also employ the ring of fire method as illustrated in the video below.. This way I don't have to add another cooker to add to my collection!
    BTW this control is made in the USA (unlike my Akorn!)

Chvymn99 and SKEETER McCLUSKEY like this.
  13. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i run IQ110's on my drum smokers when needed

raybonz likes this.
  14. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

The reason I started looking at electric smokers was I drove myself crazy trying to control the temps! Many times I put the fire out!! This will allow me to control the heat AND get the great flavor of charcoal at the same time.. Normally I use lump coal for best flavor and also use apple, hickory etc. for smoke..

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.