In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl 090 on the way soon,collection getting closer now

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by thistle, Dec 14, 2016.

1. thistle

thistle

Have been waiting/watching for one for several years now,really the only Stihl I ever wanted.

Quite a few of them on Feebay on a regular basis,in varying condition with a normally outrageous price tag because of high demand.Even the basketcases/rebuild projects was ridiculous.:loco: :crazy:

My contact in Redding,CA had about a dozen of them listed starting in early November,including a couple 090G's,the pretty rare gear drive version.Plus a bunch of parts & a couple more incomplete parts saws.

All of that bunch had sold over the past several weeks,but a particular one had been left behind after being unsold & relisted twice at a slightly lower price.I'd been watching it for a couple weeks,no one grabbed it yet so I phoned him Monday night & made him an reasonable offer - split up in 2 payments to be shipped after sending him the 2nd one next week(I'm kinda short this week what with computer dying last week (3 weeks after warranty expiring naturally :mad:) & other unexpected expenses). He's a great guy & very accommodating,is willing to work with you. :yes:

Strong runner,good compression,starts/runs/oils like it should,just normal paint loss & a broken fin or 2 on starter cover.Has all original factory OEM parts,no ''modern'' Chinese knockoffs ;) .Much better than normal shape for these beasts.Just needs bar nuts (easy find) & bar/chain.Seller including extra top cover & 2nd falling spike,nothing wrong with the ones installed on saw. Guessing this is early-mid 70's judging by no rubber grip on the handlebars (some here with knowledge of that serial number should be able to help me date that more accurately I'm thinkin'....)

All the videos I've seen & reports from old timers say that in wood up to 4 foot diameter the Mac 125 wins every time,but in wood larger than 4 foot,its a tie between the 125 & 090,because of the 090's greater torque :dex:The 090 is 8.36 cubes/137cc,powerhead around 30 pounds & turns around 8000RPM wide open no load. Where as the 125 (even the stock factory non-racing kart engine version) is 123cc,23 pounds & around 11,000 RPM wide open.

Should be fun if & when I ever decide to have a ''contest'' between these old legendary monsters....:D

Attached Files:

2. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

From what I was told the 090 G has a smaller cylinder on it. It's an 070 cylinder. experts???

I learned this when I picked up a nice 090 AV a while back.

[​IMG]

3. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Sweet, will you restore it or just run it?

4. thistle

thistle

Just clean it up a little & run it occasionally. Only 1 of my saws I repainted is the Mac 125C,only reason is when I first got it several years ago it only had 50% paint max,and that wasn't original color but some weirdazz butterscotch or something a previous owner slapped on there. :rolleyes::rofl: :lol: It was used very heavily,retired & spent the next probably 30 years in someone's barn or shed near Roseburg,OR.Still strong runner,just needed carb rebuild,few other parts replaced.Piston/cylinder still in great shape with no scoring/damage & monster compression.

All my other saws are 70% to 90% + original paint.I prefer to leave them as is,just clean/remove all the grease/grime/pitch/sawdust etc.Those ''battle scars'' tell a story,I cant bring myself to erase them..The grease/grime/pitch etc also acts as a preservative for the paint & aluminum/magnesium over the decades when its sitting idle.....That Mac 125C had the cylinder fins & other areas around the crankcase just packed tight with redwood sawdust.....:dex:

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I have one here that I am going to work on. I looked at it awhile back and tuned the carb but after running it for awhile I think it needs some more attention.
    That is one big vibrating saw.

They are awesome saws and I could buy this one but I just would not ever use it. Congrats on adding to your collection.
    You will have to do a video of it cutting some wood.

6. cgraham1

cgraham1

What size bar are you thinking about running on it?

7. thistle

thistle

Probably 36 or 42.I may just take 1 of the big Mac bars drill a extra pair of holes for the chain adjustment pin & use that to save some $$$$ vs.buying another vintage bar.

concretegrazer likes this.
  8. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Stihl 090

IMG_0928.JPG

94BULLITT, Bert, JIMBETHYNAME and 5 others like this.
  9. cgraham1

cgraham1

I know you're trying to save money, but I have a 36" large mount that I'd part with... the one with the orange lettering...
    IMG_4433.JPG

10. thistle

thistle

Dammm..... :headbang:

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  11. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

That is correct, the G had a 070 cylinder from the factory. There was also a GS which is the 137cc, those are quite rare. There were also a lot of Gs that had 090 top end swaps done by dealers. That's a beautiful AV you have there. Nice red head too Thistle.

12. thistle

thistle

Arrived this afternoon,was getting dark so barely had time to open the box,check it over & snap a few pics before grabbing something for dinner. Looks pretty good I think,just normal honest use,not a beautiful super expensive rarely used shelf queen nor a beat to death pile of crap either :D

Should have some free time over the weekend to play around with it some.

Attached Files:

13. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

Even has the more sought after 7 bend wrap handle, nice find Thistle. Good thing about that one is it's all OEM and in the kind of shape that you won't be afraid to run it.

thistle, Bert and Mag Craft like this.
  14. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Pretty lucky to get that one. All original other than the bar and came from the east. Owned by a Government agency and the guy who picked it up said they had several close to this condition. I do use it occasionally as I feel it is better to let them breathe once in a while.

[​IMG]

Got the 4 ft bar here but I bought and OEM 36 for it. Odd thing when I got it was that it didn't have any Dogs on it. Why they were off is a mystery to me. Got a set of OEM's there as well for it. They are really rare around here.

Funny story was when I got it I took it to a local John Deere dealer who sells Stihl. I had pulled the bar off so it was jut the power head. When I put it up on the counter the parts guy said, " Oh. that's a saw. I thought it was a generator when I saw you walk in."

15. thistle

thistle

16. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

I don't know about your model but mine has an adjustable fan governor. It was set at the lowest setting and would tach out about 6500 RPM and was pretty doggy. I'm wondering if that is why it was used so little. You don't want much more than 9500 RPM. I set mine at just over 9000 and it was a HUGE difference.

Congrats on the runner!

thistle and Mag Craft like this.