In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sausage making!

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by swags, Dec 12, 2016.

1. swags

swags Moderator

Had some family and a few friends over last night and we put together just shy of 200 lbs of venison/pork sausage. Most was Italian or Polish sausage. And the last 25 lbs was a breakfast blend with maple flavor. We even fired up the Traeger and cooked a bunch of it up while we were working.

Had a great time and put a lot of meat in the freezer for all of us.
    IMG_3305.JPG IMG_3304.JPG IMG_3302.JPG IMG_3301.JPG IMG_3300.JPG IMG_3299.JPG IMG_3298.JPG

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice work! You got a ton done son! Love seeing family and friends helping out! :yes:

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great pics @swags:thumbs:
    That's a lotta sausage!:grizz:

4. tuneighty

tuneighty

Is that a 5lb stuffer? Did you grind it all too?

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:hair:... awesome job..:D... looks like a good had by all...

6. swags

swags Moderator

Yes it is. I bought it a number of years ago before we started doing bigger batches. Back then we were just doing much smaller batches. A bigger stuffer is def on the list for the future.

I ground all the deer meat but not the pork. The pork is the same price at the butcher wether it's ground or not.

7. Stinny

Stinny

Great pics Sean. Having some of it to munch on while you were doing all that work must have been a big hit with everyone... :grizz:

8. tuneighty

tuneighty

I tried 1 batch with a kitchen aid stuffer and said never again. Went with the 11lb hakka stuffer from Amazon. Working pretty good so far, very solid.

Ever get onto Len poli's site?

www.lpoli.50webs.com - he has all kinds of formulas I want to try

9. BCPLLC

BCPLLC

This is awesome!

I have wanted to make my own sausage ever since I saw Kramer and Newman doing it.

10. swags

swags Moderator

I have not, I'll check it out. I get most of my seasonings and casings ect from Sausagemaker.com. The 5 lb stuffer works well but when doing big batches like this a bigger one would make it go quicker. The last time we made this much the packaging was the delay. We only had 1 vacuum packer and it actually shut off bc it got too hot. That vacuumm packer was my brothers and I wanted one anyways so I bought one as well. That sped that up a lot. This last round we kept everything going pretty smooth, the stuffer was a little slower then the rest of the stations going but not too bad. Another thing I learned when we did this batch is that the stuffer I have needs another tube that is smaller for breakfast sausage or snack sticks. The casing we used were 22mil and they were too small to fit on the smallest tube I had easily. Ended up ripping a few of them so we just packed it in ground meat bags.

We tried stuffing with the kitchen aid as well many years ago. NOT FUN! lol grinding does work with it but painfully slow.

11. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Great pictures. I assume that's you running into the sausage prep room with two cans of "fuel"? I make a bunch of sausage each year. Like you, used to use the Kitchen Aid and it was pretty bad. Vertical stuffer makes it a breeze. The latest short cut is getting the butcher to grind meat for me and mix in the spices I give them.

Eric VW, swags and NortheastAl like this.
  12. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Good stuff! Making me hungry. :drool:

swags and Eric VW like this.
  13. tuneighty

tuneighty

Do you seal right after stuffing? Do they keep shape pretty well? I haven't done batches more than 60lbs, but I will freeze the links for a beer or two then seal them up.

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  14. swags

swags Moderator

I have a cook that offered to grind everything for me. He could do a hundred pounds in no time. But we decided last minute to do it so I didn't have time to take it to him as it was weekend and he wasn't working.

NortheastAl and Eric VW like this.
  15. swags

swags Moderator

Yes we seal right away and then freeze. Haven't had any issues with them keeping shape.

16. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Nice work swags! Sausage making is my next venture in the processing world. I've been processing my deer and even some friends deer for years now but I've never gotten into making sausage. I keep a few roasts and the backstraps from each deer but grind pretty much everything else. Aside from a stuffer, can you point me in the right direction for what casings and seasonings to use? I've mixed plenty of loose breakfast grind and some sage here and there but id like to learn more.

NortheastAl and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. swags

swags Moderator

The best thing for me was checking out the website Sausagemaker.com. They have lots of different seasoning blends that you can try and when you click on a specific blend it will tell you what casing they recommend. I like a natural casing for our sausages. The mild Italian Hot blend is the one we like the best. We usually do Polish as well. The casings for these are 32-35mil hog casings.

This year we tried the breakfast blend and that was awesome. That blend we used 22-25 mil sheep casings. Most stuffers dont come with a small enough tube for that so you would need to buy an extra tube for the smaller casings. This smaller tube would also work for snack sticks.

As far as stuffing you want to make sure you have plenty of water in the mix to get the meat mixture to go through the stuffer and casings.

Your welcome to PM me and ill give you my number to call. I can give you more specific details and things weve learned.

tuneighty, NortheastAl and Chvymn99 like this.