In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Band saw recomendation

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bocefus78, Dec 12, 2016.

  1. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    I found this on CL. I've been playing with the idea of a bandsaw to use in conjunction with my Alaskan mill. Not that I have stacks of lumber laying around or anything...but one day I hope to. Namely next spring after my property gets logged and I have an abundance of wood on the ground.

    Anyway, I know NOTHING about wood saws. Is this a decent one? Google shows a newer model of this saw to be big $ comparatively speaking. And the KREG fence with resaw attachment is another $140 new.

    So basically.....Is this deal good enough that I should go give this guy his $ and buy a tool I won't use for a year or more?

    Rikon 14 bandsaw
    Kreg 7" Resaw Guide - Saw Attachments - Cutting Solutions
    Kreg Precision Band Saw Fence - Saw Attachments - Cutting Solutions

    Paging Shawn Curry and any other bandsaw users
     
  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    That does seem like a pretty good deal. :yes: The original fence and location of the miter slot seem a little goofy to me (not a big deal), and the the blade tensioner being all the way at the top doesn't look very convenient. It does have wheel bearing blade guides, which I like, and appears to be tool-less adjustment.

    Looks to be a good amount of saw for the price. I'd buy it if I was looking.
     
  3. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,856
    Likes Received:
    121,404
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    From where I sit in front of my laptop, that looks like a great deal on the Rikon. I'd say call quick, before someone else does!
     
  4. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Email sent to seller...hope its not sold yet. Posted 17 hours ago.

    Thanks for the replies folks!
     
  5. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    No reply yet.

    Seller either:

    a: doesn't have a smart phone or access to it while at work
    b: Sold it and wont pull ad down

    My guess is B. Typical CL BS.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Eric VW like this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,856
    Likes Received:
    121,404
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Be patient and persistent. I have the phone but can't access my emails from it.
     
    Woodsnwoods, Eric VW and bocefus78 like this.
  7. chris

    chris

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    Messages:
    3,168
    Likes Received:
    11,288
    Location:
    SE WI
    Smoking deal at $250. Rikon has a decent rep. Though I never have had any of their equipment. New you pay a significant amount for those tooless adjustments- never had a problem using allen wrenches , yet.
     
    Woodsnwoods, Eric VW and bocefus78 like this.
  8. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    She gone :(
     
    Woodsnwoods likes this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Well then....that just sucks.
     
    Woodsnwoods and Eric VW like this.
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,856
    Likes Received:
    121,404
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Yep, sucks... Back to craigs. :coffee:
     
    Woodsnwoods and Eric VW like this.