In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The man cave thread!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Pallet Pete, Nov 27, 2016.

1. tuneighty

tuneighty

Probably get used more for curing meat. Wife wasnt too happy when I had 28lbs of pork belly hogging up the fridge for two weeks.

2. will711

will711

It's your fridge in your space , she'll have to Deal with it :thumbs:

3. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

Here is my inside man cave, I have one end of the upstairs loft. image.jpeg

milleo, stinson89, will711 and 9 others like this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice!! So those boxes have saws in them ;)

NH mountain man and Eric VW like this.
  5. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

Yes sir, they have saws in them.

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!
    Nice cave, man!

NH mountain man and hdtoolmkr765 like this.
  7. bassJAM

bassJAM

I made the mistake of getting hitched, prior to that the entire house was my man cave but now I'm limited to my shop in the garage. The good thing is it's partially underground so it stays cool in the summer and a kerosene heater keeps it warm in the winter. And most importantly, there's a beer fridge.

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

I've got a 25 x 40 detached garage that I always think about walling off a room in and adding a stove, but the problem is it's infested with these guys and I don't feel safe in there!!!

IMG_3190.JPG

Chvymn99, milleo, Pallet Pete and 4 others like this.
  8. will711

will711

:thumbs::thumbs: :cheers::cheers:

9. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sooo....the Dixie Chopper magnum 2250 is for sale now, huh?:D

10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nice Dixie!!

Love mine. Even though it's only 3 years old and had to have the heads replaced (one cylinder dropped a valve seat end of this season)!! Still a beast!!

20140709_201300.jpg

11. bassJAM

bassJAM

Nope, I lit the entire thing on fire!

12. savemoney

savemoney

so you don't like spiders. Me either. Use a bug bomb and get rid of them. Set them off a couple times and your problem should be over. Repeat every year or as needed.

13. bassJAM

bassJAM

I could be dropped in a pit full of just about any bug or snakes or whatever and I'd be fine, but I'd want to kill myself if it was full of spiders. I HATE them!

I actually use a perimeter spray twice a year to try to control the spiders. It works really well for the house, basement and garage. But my detached garage is surrounded on 2 sides by woods and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I keep a can of Raid out there to take care of the ones I see, but some of them are big enough I wonder if a .357 would be smarter to use!!

I'll try the bomb idea on top of the perimeter spray and see if it helps. I'm always worried that I'll be mowing along the road and one of those wolf spiders will crawl out from behind my seat and I'll do something stupid like drive into traffic!

14. savemoney

savemoney

I used to have them on the ceiling of my porch. I was always a live and let live person until some of those little things decided to bite me. I got a heck of an infection on my legs. So I got my vacuum when went after them. That ended that little treaty. I hate using chemical, and only do as a last resort. There are lots of herbs etc. that can be used to keep many insects away. one of the most efficient long-term solution to make sure that spiders steer clear of your house is to simply spray some peppermint essential oil (10-15 drops) mixed with water in a spray bottle. Leave some Lemon Peels laying around. Spiders also do not like Cinnamon.

15. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

We used to get them in our basement pretty bad. I am with bassjam, I can handle pretty much anything, but I can't stand spiders. The boss heard a few years ago to put Osage oranges (I think that's what they are, green things that fall from trees that are about the size of an orange, bumpy skin) in the crawl space or basement. She also heard to steep fresh bay leaves in a pan and add a few drops of peppermint oil and spray around perimeter of house. We've done both for probably 5 years now and haven't seen a spider anywhere in the house since. Not sure which one is most effective cause we do all of it. I would damm near burn a building down to get rid of spiders.

savemoney likes this.
  16. tfdchief

tfdchief

Hedge Apples. Come from the most dense fire wood there is (well maybe Ironwood but it is still second). Cut some Hedge when you get those Hedge Apples. It burns almost as hot as coal.

17. savemoney

savemoney

You got it, be proactive and make your home undesirable for them. Might not work with adult children, but it will with spiders.

milleo and bassJAM like this.
  18. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

Haha, we have one of those little wooden signs by the back door that says "Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch" I told the wife after the kids are gone she could stop cooking and we could tell them we are broke and see how often they come around. She took it to heart I guess cause she has almost perfected the stop cooking part already.

milleo and tfdchief like this.
  19. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've tried using hedge apples before in the basement. I decided it didn't work when I saw a half dollar sized wolf spider hanging out behind one of them.

20. hdtoolmkr765

hdtoolmkr765

Well that's good to know, I won't mess with those anymore