In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Undercoating spray rig

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by JustWood, Nov 26, 2016.

  1. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Threw this together this afternoon from a dumpster scrounged dead upright compressor and other odds I had laying around. Got an in line ball valve ordered for air shut off.
    Older equipment , vehicles and 90 Rolloff containers need under coated every year or 2.
    20 gallon tank . Should be able to put 15 gallon and tilt at a 45 or less to get flow.
    Wonder what I should regulate the pressure at?
     

    Attached Files:

    XXL and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. XXL

    XXL

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    15,702
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice build! What type of oil are you going to spray? I once heard bar oil works good.
     
  3. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    I run Lucas stop leak/conditioner in my high milage truck . That oil is like tar . I save that oil separate from other drain oil . Mix is equal parts Lucas drain oil and canola oil and 10% diesel. After 2 years on the bottom of a roll off container it still looks like recently oiled. 3rd year needs a recoat . Vehicles every year.
    Used to just use a 2 gallon weed sprayer. I think this will save a lot of time
     
    Well Seasoned and XXL like this.
  4. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    I don't have 90 "cans" to undercoat, but sure would like to know the basics of making a drain oil sprayer.
    Pressurize a tank with used oil in it, add a fitting for a spray hose, what type of "gun" or spray tip?
     
    Well Seasoned likes this.