In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bumming I missed kinda...

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by milleo, Nov 10, 2016.

  1. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Went out hunting alone and a buck came through when I was getting ready to move....Can't believe he came in when I was walking away after half falling down cause my knee gave out when I got up to leave then I had a couple of wrapped candys that I opened and in general wasn't figuring a deer would run up across behind me...I swung around and yup a 4 to 6 pointer 140 to 160 pound buck came motoring through and I shot and got a fair amount of blood so called a friend as I was blood trailing it, he left work and we couldn't find it...:hair: He can track like an indian but no go...He thinks it was a leg shot because of the color of the blood?...Any way he picked up more blood a good 500 yards away but still no go....:(...I finally ran out of steam, I think there will be a somewhat limping deer running out there but I HATE when that happens...
     
    Loon and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Bummer
    Need Backwoods as your tracker
    he's been practicing
     
  3. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Trouble is this deer may be a hurting unit but it's not going to lay down...:(
     
  4. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Yea
    tough one
    :(
     
    Well Seasoned, gboutdoors and milleo like this.
  5. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    It will lay down at some point. Keep tracking. Finish what you started.
     
  6. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Getback out there this morning if you can. If it happens that you made a decent shot he will have bedded down last night and probably bled out. Good luck!
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,155
    Location:
    Central MI
    Good luck on this one. Not really that surprising to hear how you came upon that buck though. Strange things happen out there sometimes. fwiw, I missed a nice one yesterday. My own fault.
     
    milleo, Well Seasoned and gboutdoors like this.
  8. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hope you get a chance to keep looking!

    I normally get a call every year from one of my buddies that needs help tracking one that was bowshot, so far I've got a 100% recovery rate. They think I have tracking skills, but the truth is I just have good flashlights and fresh batteries!!
     
  9. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I'll bring Maple the tracking dog over. She'll find Em.......
     
    milleo likes this.
  10. milleo

    milleo

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    9,212
    Location:
    Maine
    Went back in alone Friday still nothing and was wicked windy with big limbs falling so was scary and I didn't stay and look as much as I would have liked...:hair:
     
    Loon likes this.