In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

John Heisz vertical mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by papadave, Nov 10, 2016.

  1. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Wow, this is interesting..........
     
    schlot, milleo, Bluelou and 2 others like this.
  2. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    I guess that's a video. (dang hughesnet internet service) all I see is a black box:hair:
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Hmmm. Ok then, here's his Youtube channel.
    John Heisz
     
  4. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    works fine here, but I've gotten black boxes before too.


    seems like a lot of work to me
     
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Yeah, milling is a lot of work.
    I thought it was an interesting method for smaller logs.
     
    Jeffrey Svoboda and savemoney like this.
  6. fuelrod

    fuelrod

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2014
    Messages:
    3,508
    Likes Received:
    20,526
    Location:
    Western Maine
    Thanks papa, I'm sure it's on my end & internet, and if I did get it, it would take several days or weeks to download:eek:
    I'm not equipped for those new fangled "moving pictures":whistle:
     
    papadave likes this.
  7. Jeffrey Svoboda

    Jeffrey Svoboda

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    2,849
    Likes Received:
    16,777
    Location:
    Michigan
    It's an interesting concept. I'd curious if that is normal for cut speed. Is the wood going to hold up? Don't know why he didn't make it outta some steel square tubing. I know moving out would suck then.
     
    papadave likes this.
  8. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I think it was a prototype or proof of concept. Made of steel might be a tad heavy for the way he was using it.
    Looked like a fairly small saw with a not so sharp chain.
     
    Jeffrey Svoboda likes this.
  9. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    First off I cringed as he was "prepping" the dirty side. I'm sure his chain thanked him.
    Anyone with milling or even cutting experience knows what a little bit of dirt does.
    I would love to see a 10-20 footer done like that.:rofl: :lol: