In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Deer liver and pork sausage

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by mike bayerl, Nov 5, 2016.

  1. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    This was my first attempt at making sausage of any type. I used the liver from the doe I shot on Monday, mixed with 6.5# of pork butt, lots of fresh onions and some spices. I fried up a little of the loose mix and I have to say it came out real nice. I'm going to have a friend of mine smoke some if it with the apple wood I got with The Wood Wolverine.[​IMG]
     
  2. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,853
    Likes Received:
    121,386
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I wanna say it sounds good but I'm just not a fan of liver.:stirpot:
    I'd have it all smoked, because I know the influence that apple smoke has.
     
  3. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Funny you should say that. I remember liking liverwurst as a young child, but haven't eaten liver since. I figured I would keep an open mind. When I sampled this batch, it tasted o.k. and the liver tasted very fresh and clean... but, I think I have to say that I just don't like the taste of liver. No sweat, I have friends and family who will eat it, amd I got practice making sausages.
     
    eatonpcat, milleo and papadave like this.
  4. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sausage   :thumbs: :drool: yummy :beerbbq:
     
    mike bayerl likes this.
  5. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,853
    Likes Received:
    121,386
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    With that much pork butt, you may be fine. Smoke + pork butt = :makeitrain"
     
    mike bayerl likes this.