Just joined and was wondering if questions on my new stove should go here or in the pre EPA forum? New stove is a Buck FS21. Don't know of any questions at the present, but install will be completed tomorrow.
Is this a through-the-roof chimney setup? How tall will the stack be? How many sq.ft. are you heating? Insulation and air-sealing good at your place? What is the house layout, and is the stove centrally located? I'll be looking forward to hearing how this stove works, as I'm not too familiar with the Buck non-cat stoves. Some questions would be, What is the construction of the baffle system, above the tubes (or is it a steel baffle with holes in it, no tubes?) Like bogydave said, pics are always nice! And how fast will it get up to temp and light off the secondaries (without having a roaring fire in the box and risking damage to the stove or chimney liner?) Interesting ash dump system. Is there some kind of gasket to restrict air coming in through the ash dump? I guess if it is leaking a little air there (evidenced by the coals glowing brighter over the ash dump,) you could always keep a load of ash between the top and bottom ash dump doors and that would minimize air flow. If the coals over the dump are only glowing slightly brighter than the surrounding coals, I wouldn't be concerned. Keep us updated!
To answer a few of your questions. The outlet goes up about 36" makes a 90 degree turn and then a 12" lateral into a SS lined masonry chimney. Chimney extends above the roof line. Don't seem to have problem with draw after they reinstalled the cap at the bottom of the liner. The house is an old 2 story farm house that is not well sealed or insulated. The upstairs is closed off and I am heating about 800 sq ft. The Stove is located in the living room, kitchen bathroom and bedroom located off the living room. Ash pan trap door. I don't believe it has a gasket, but am not seeing any glowing over the trap door. In fact it looks colder than the rest. Boggydave wanted 1st fire pictures. They will be up shortly in another post.
That stove should be able to overcome inadequacies of insulation and air-sealing, with only 800 sq.ft to heat. How long has your wood been split and stacked? How is she burning?
My main supply was cut 2015 into firewood sized pieces and piled up. We split and stacked it in March this year. I also have around a pick up load of wood from last year and another 2 pick up loads of wood in the barn left over from 2014. I plan on bring this wood up to the house and covering it for use in Jan. when it get really cold. So far, I like how it burns, but have not loaded it up for a maximum burn yet. My wife would freeze to death in h**l so am a little concerned. The old Rebel would drive me out, but had a very health appetite. The new stove appears to deliver good heat with a lot less wood so far.
Yeah, I was just in your "seasoned wood" thread and got some of the details on your wood situation; You should do OK I would think. Keep us up to date on how the stove is doing, once it gets colder out.