Like said you would probably be ok, I would definitely top cover it though. If you plan on burning wood sooner than later, top cover
Burning some dead standing Red Maple right now and with the secondary's rolling its close to about the same temp as the Elm. May not last as long but sure am liking the maple so far creek.
I try to split everything big, so it barely squeezes through the door. I cut down to 2-3 inches, so I have plenty of small stuff for the smaller fires. I have a few 2 year old 12 inch rounds of 22 inch hickory that I am going to check this weekend. Going to split one and check dead center with the Mm. I hate opening the door and hearing a sizzling noise
That's good news! I'm gonna gonna go into nerd mode and actually plot the mc by month they next winter just to see how the stacks dry out.
I'm not even close to getting into the Red Maple yet. Been too mild. Only used about 1/3 "face" so far of Ash kindling and Pine splits. Normally go through more than double that by this time in Oct.