That's a neat idea but I personally wouldn't have the right stuff with me to unloosen the tensioner puller to get the belt off the alternator. I would have to walk home and call Red Green for ideas.
Now you have a dead battery AND a fried alternator. Alternators are not designed to charge a dead battery, especially at chainsaw speeds.
I'd run it at 3/4 to full throttle, idling the saw wouldn't spin the alternator nearly fast enough to make any juice. An alternator pulley is typically about 1/3 the size of a crank pulley, so it's already spinning considerably faster than your engine rpm. Then when you take into account that the "pulley" you made on your saw is at least 1/3-1/4 the size of the alternator pulley, you're going to have to spin the saw considerably faster than your truck's engine to make up the difference. Also, no need to mark which way your alternator spins. Look at your fan and remember that the fan blades spin the pull in air to the radiator. Then just follow the belt route to the alternator and you have your correct rotation.
IMO Cell ph, call me wife or friend, Bring jumpers much faster /easier / safer / practical Could use the saw fuel, to cut more wood till help arrived
Fan on the alternator yes, cooling fans.....e fans? I would totes try this as well. Most tensioners can be moved by hand if accessible. Jump-starts don't recharge batteries driving and letting the alternator does. Alternators also are regulated to not overcharge the battery.
No problem charging the battery with the alternator. I have many times loaded alternators (Ford and Chrysler) to the maximum on a test bench, and it will not harm them normally. That is with a resistive load on them, not a battery, but there is little difference, the resistive load is probably worse. They will attain their maximum rated output (or pretty close to it) and not go over it with any reasonable attempt to overload it, and trust me I have tried. I would not try it with a direct short, I suspect that would not turn out well. Once in while, it will blow a diode in the Ford alternator, but that is rare. Now hooking the battery up backwards will let the smoke out of the alternator pretty quick. Not that I have ever done THAT.