In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Amateur Calzone production

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Woodwidow, Feb 2, 2014.

  1. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,534
    Likes Received:
    95,632
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I was inspired by fishingpol's calzone production in his wood fired pizza oven so I went to allrecipes.com and found this recipe.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Calzon...alzone&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

    The braided top was a little fancy but whatever, I thought I would try it. Loaded the breadmaker with the dough and immediately found a problem. No spaghetti sauce. Okay, I'll make some while the dough is rising. Followed my recipe but the veggie burger was frozen. Put it in a pot and boiled it in its bag until thawed. My recipe is in this thread

    http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/index.php?threads/wheres-the-beef.799/#post-15192

    Finally got the sauce made and the dough is ready. We are on a roll. Here is the dough rolled out.

    100_1480.JPG

    First or next mistake. Didn't move the dough to the cookie sheet before I added the sauce to it. I won't show the pic of the dough and sauce on the pan. It wasn't pretty. Added mushrooms and cheese and then proceeded to braid? the dough. Well, it was an attempt all right. No awards here for pretty.

    100_1481.JPG

    By this time, Campinspecter is looking for lunch so I covered it in butter - everything tastes better with butter (right?) and threw it in the oven.

    100_1482.JPG

    Looks a little better cooked and tasted great!!!! And it made enough for three meals. Next time I try this, I am going to stick to the more traditional presentation.
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Yum! Where do you live?
     
  3. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Oh wait, I have your address.
     
    Woodwidow and campinspecter like this.
  4. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236

    Would love the company!:cool:
     
    Grizzly Adam and Woodwidow like this.
  5. campinspecter

    campinspecter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1,684
    Likes Received:
    12,236
    Absolutely no complaints!:thumbs:
     
    Grizzly Adam and Woodwidow like this.
  6. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
  7. gbreda

    gbreda

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    7,506
    Likes Received:
    37,200
    Location:
    NH
    Looks great ! Hmmm, I have never sliced (or you mentioned braded?) like that prior to cooking. I can see that making a mess if using any kind of sauce. I just fold it over the filling, pinch it closed and brush with egg. A pizza stone helps cooking evenly and can stay in the oven for all your cooking, Doesn't hinder anything and holds heat very well.
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Yum yum.... that's stromboli status!
     
    campinspecter likes this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Pretty? We don't need no steenkin' pretty.
    That's fru-fru talk. As long as it tastes good, it's all gooder.
    Back off Grizzly, I got dibs on bein' adopted.:mad::thumbs:
     
  10. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Oooh, How did I miss this thread. That looks good for a start. Bread flour makes a world of difference. Gbreda had some good tips there, especially the pizza stone. I'll throw out some pointers that I do that can possibly help you.

    I'm curious, does the dough rise in the breadmaker?

    The recipe you used is almost identical to what I use. I put my ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook. I always do a double recipe that will make 4 pizzas or calzones. When the dough is mixed and clings to the hook and starts climbing it, it is ready to set to rise. I take the dough out and put it on a floured counter divide it in two. I knead it very little, just to make a flat ball. I put olive oil in two bowls and wipe the bowl with a paper towel to spread the oil. I put the dough in each one and flip over, covering the dough in oil. Plastic wrap cover and set in a warm place. Over rising will cause flat dough as the yeast has already done its' thing. If the dough smells bready and yeasty with a lot of air holes, it has most likely over-risen.

    At this point, I punch down the dough, divide in half for one pie or calzone. On the floured counter, after cutting the dough, I knead it just for a minute to get the round ball shape back. I let it rest for 10 minutes for the gluten to relax. At this point I start spreading it out with my fingertips like a focaccia. I flip and add more flour to prevent sticking. After a few minutes of working the dough, it is almost at the final shape.

    I have at least a cup of flour in a pile on the counter ready to dust if needed. Load up one half of the dough, fold the other half over. Crimp and brush with egg wash. Slice small 1 - 2"vent holes and put in oven. If you use enough flour on the counter, the dough will not stick. I slide the pie or calzone onto a wood peel with a lot of cornmeal on it to slide it into the oven. I actually cut the wooden peel narrower to fit in the mud oven door and I put the straight edge of it at the counter's edge to slide the calzone onto it.


    Sorry if I was long-winded, but I really like making pizza dough.
     
    gbreda likes this.
  11. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,534
    Likes Received:
    95,632
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Yes, the dough rose in the breadmaker. I left it for the full dough cycle which about 1 1/2 hr. It was quite yeasty when I took it out. After reading your comments, I think it was in there too long. I used all purpose flour, the same that I would use if I was making bread. I think two major things went wrong. Trying to move the rolled out dough after the warm sauce was on it and filling it too much so the braids didn't overlap properly. I went back and looked at the video attached to the recipe and there is definitely a lot more dough than filling. And then I baked it too low in the oven so the bottom was a bit on the crispy side.

    Next time I will do a bit more research on pizza dough and do a more traditional style like you did.
     
    gbreda likes this.
  12. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    If you can get bread flour, definetly try it. There is more gluten in it and it is a night and day difference. Over risen dough will not have a nice elasticity to it. Is there any way you can mix the dough and rise it in the wood boiler room? I bet the temps are nice and warm.


    One other note. I watched a video on youtube where the dough almost poured out of the mixer like batter onto a floured counter. It looked like a comllete sticky mess. Within minutes it was kneaded perfectly by picking up the flour from the counter.

    I hope you give it another try.
     
  13. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    Milk makes the dough easier to work with, egg gives it a softer texture. I never raise pizza dough.
     
    gbreda likes this.