In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

30+ hours without sleep

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Sep 20, 2016.

  1. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,201
    Location:
    Central MI
    I used to do this sometimes when I was young but being well into my 70's I did not expect to do it now. But it happened! I do suffer with insomnia from time to time.

    Turn back the clock to Monday morning. I woke up just before 4:00 am with a terrible headache. Staggered out to the kitchen (well, one other little room too) for my headache cure, which no doubt seems odd to most folks as it is contrary to popular opinion. First, I popped 3 tylenol then 2 heat packs. We use the gel packs as they seem to be the best and I can get them hot enough to do some good. They are heated in the microwave. (Yes, we've tried others including using rice, walnuts shells, etc but they never seem to work as well and don't seem to heat enough). So I heated 2 hot packs; one for the forehead and one under the neck and went back to bed.

    Yes, it got rid of the headache. Trouble is, many times when this happens you'd think I could go back to sleep but instead, it wakes me up, so I got up. Then we had to leave early anyway for the big city so it worked out okay.

    The real trouble started when I had to begin prep for that nasty test some of us have to get every 3-5 years or so. That meant a lot of drinking of nasty stuff plus taking laxatives and using that little room. The timing really sucked. I had to do the last round of drinking at 1:00 am and it takes a little over an hour and then you don't dare go to bed.

    Test went well and glad it is over. Best news is I was told I don't have to return for 10 years unless something develops. All looks well and that is good news indeed.

    So we get home and needless to say, we are both a bit tired. I sacked out around 10:45 and slept (with just 2 interruptions) until around 3:30. Probably will hit the sack early tonight.


    Point is, no matter the age, I guess most of us can do what it required when we have to. No, I do not look forward to many more times without sleep like this but am amazed, given my age, how well it went overall.

    Here's hoping it all works out well for others who may have to endure these things.
     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,575
    Location:
    US
    Glad for the good news, Dennis! :thumbs:
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Hope you are able to continue to get rest. Your grandson will be on your mind surely......
     
  4. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    The doctor confirmed what Mrs.Sav has known for years. :eek:
     
  5. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,483
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  6. NortheastAl

    NortheastAl

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,887
    Likes Received:
    28,161
    Location:
    Putnam County NY
    I'm sure you had lots on your mind, Dennis. Rest easy tonight, my friend.
     
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,666
    Likes Received:
    144,683
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I went 5 days with maybe 10 hours of sleep total when our dog Blondie got out and was lost in -17* weather a few years ago. I was so worried about her but more importantly, that dog and my 3 y/o daughter were tied at the hip, daughter spent hours in "their window" calling for her, it was heartbreaking. Granted we have different health issues and atleast a generation apart Dennis, I slept for 26 almost straight after that beloved dog was spotted, caught, and came home.

    Beyond the 3-5 year test, is pain keeping you from rest?
     
  8. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,495
    Likes Received:
    113,843
    Location:
    KC Metro
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,201
    Location:
    Central MI
    That's a part of it as always but it was mostly the timing of things. It started with a terrific headache then getting up and having to leave early for the big city and trying to get some relief for my lovely wife. Then we have to realize I had to take laxatives to get things started and then comes the big drink, which, this time was broken into two cycles with the last 1/2 gallon being drunk starting at 1:00 am or something like that and after all the laxatives and the big drinks, one usually spends most of the time not on his back in bed but in a smaller room of the house. Then we left for the hospital a little before 6:00 am and that was already 26 hours since the last sleep. I don't think it took much to knock me out for the test. Needless to say, I'm glad that is over. Slept like a baby last night!
     
    tfdchief, savemoney, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  10. tfdchief

    tfdchief

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2014
    Messages:
    1,233
    Likes Received:
    7,637
    Location:
    Tuscola, IL
    Oh Dennis. I'm sorry. Things are not going good and I haven't been paying attention. Hope you are ok. Chief
    Just for the record, 5 years ago, I went without sleep for 3 months. God takes care of us somehow. Hang in there my good friend. I will pray for you and your family. Wish I was closer so I could come tend to things. Chief
     
  11. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Did you feel like you were being turned inside out? Prep is always the worst part. After the prep, I don't care who sees my bare butt. Just darn glad to get dressed, get something to eat and head on back home.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    When doing the prep,
    "Never" trust a fart !
    :rofl: :lol:
    Good you have clean plumbing
     
  13. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,201
    Location:
    Central MI
    Nor afterwards! Still the next day.......... :mad:
     
    tfdchief likes this.