In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I found another well on the property

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Well Seasoned, Sep 22, 2016.

  1. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    While clearing on the hill side, I stumbled upon another well. It was pretty overgrown and only covered with plywood which was well rotted. Now this is the second one I found since i posted about the other one. The second one looks in good shape and is only about 5 ft deep. The area I've been clearing was once a field and I've working on bringing it back to its old glory in hopes to plant in spring of 2017 or 2018. This will help with irrigation I'm thinking.

    Below is the first one. IMO, strange it's a dug out well (I guess) and has a metal pipe in there......
    20160922_162838.jpg

    Bottom left same as picture as above and the second one is about 15' beyond the atv up the hill.



    20160922_162856.jpg



    The 2nd one I've just found. The water is much clearer than the other one. Very slight oil sheet, which I've read is something added on old wells.

    20160922_162442.jpg
     
  2. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,521
    Likes Received:
    95,567
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice for irrigation and in a pinch for the household chores. You will have to see how they do through the summer next year.
     
  3. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Nice find. "Oil sheen" can be from iron bacteria. Early bog iron pieces were located by looking for it. Pretty common to see the rainbow slick in marshes.

    Did you ever get into the little structure from your other thread?
     
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF

    That makes sense.......

    The first picture above is from the other thread. Basically it's roughly 5'- 7' deep within that 20" pipe and only about 12" deep outside of that pipe. There is stone walls around 3 sides of it, and is open from one end. I don't know much about wells, but I would like to work on both of them. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll redo the top of the newest well with some 2x6's since I have alot of those on hand.
     
  5. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    congratulations on finding water... check out NH extension services they will tell what's in it for free... university should do it.. before you decide what you want to use the water for.
     
  6. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    just read your last post.. those shallow wells were common up here, basically spring a farmer has dug out a little bit to keep leaves out of to feed livestock..
     
  7. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,194
    Location:
    Central MI
    I believe you are very correct on this one.
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    It makes sense. The area I've cleared over the past month was overgrown big time. I managed to clear a huge area of high brush, fruit bushes, and saplings, just to have everything die off, I cut and collected everything (I do have a large sweeper for the atv) and now it's like all grass. I know stone foundations are common everywhere, but I suspect these stone walls that are behind the property were taken from what were once fields, with possible livestock.
     
  9. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Cool. I need more time to read threads on FHC.:thumbs:
     
  10. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    The walls are from sheep farms, to have that shallow of a well with that much water in it is great! Our well is 16' feet deep from 1880 and is almost dry with the critical drought down here. I'm bringing water home from work to help out at the house.
     
  11. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    If they are not dry after this summer they never will be!!!!!:dennis:
     
  12. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I saw the drought on the news....... I'm no expert since I just moved here, but we've had a decent amount of rain since mid July. Even when I went back to Pa i kept an eye on the rain. Getting into fall is critical when keeping an eye on the well. We would like to add a manual pump to the main well that services the house at some point, ya know, for a power outage or a shtf situation......
     
  13. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    How deep is the main well?
     
    NortheastAl and Well Seasoned like this.
  14. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Still waiting to find out how deep.:binoculars:
     
    NortheastAl and Well Seasoned like this.
  15. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Sorry for the delay..... I went through some paperwork seeing if I can find the exact depth. No luck....... and I don't remember. I asked during the buying process and had it tested.......
     
  16. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    just for your info there should be a label with number on cap on top of well... that is tied into a database tells you depth, gpm, drilling co., etc also should show your neighbors.. good info to have in case you ever need another..
     
  17. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF

    Unless the label is under the big concrete part, I didn't see it under the smaller one. I pulled the smaller lid, and the well only looks like it's maybe 15' deep, filled with maybe 4ft of water, down another 4ft from a clear water line. The question was raised if the previous owner ever went dry and she did no...... but it does seem low...... when we had it tested, if I remember correctly, it had elevated sulfur levels, but within the "safe"amount as well as some coliform (sp?) Which the home owner had the well shocked and retested, giving an all clear.


    The main well....

    20160923_132414.jpg



    There is an upper black pipe and a lower black pipe, as well as the blue hose.



    20160923_132433.jpg



    The land continues to go up another 100ft or so above the well.

    20160923_132702.jpg
     
  18. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,650
    Likes Received:
    130,687
    Location:
    Vermont
    OK we would refer to that as a shallow well or artesian well, most home mortgages here do not like them because of the propensity to get contaminated from ground.. they require you to put in a deep well usually 6 inch steel pipe with a pump and pressure tank. usually cost 8 dollars a foot and run from 100 to 1000 feet down... those are registered to depth of natural resouses... yours looks like capped artesian not need to register as it is a natural water source...
     
  19. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Is it still artesian if the land continues to slope down? I thought the area would need to be U shaped. It's flat where the house sits and the yard.

    Does this explain why the hole in the concrete where the tank is gets filled with water?
     
  20. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    How could it get contaminated if it sits above the ground level? Chipmunk poo on the lid, then washed in during a windy rain?