I'm from central PA, and in my travels like to see and ask people what tree species they prefer for fuel wood. Just spent 2 weeks in New York's Adirondack mountains, and seems there is quite a mix at the woodpiles, like they were just using whatever was available. I know the forests are primarily beech, birch, maples, cherry and a mix of evergreens. Seems like maple might have been the most common firewood? What do you guys who live there and heat with wood prefer? Also, with all that Adirondack preserve land , can you get a permit and or allowed to cut on state land? JDU
well I am from across the lake but the forests are similar and got family over there. Saying maple is the most common is correct. but as there are easily dozens of types of maples we generally break it into hard maple and soft. There is a big misperception up here that evergreens cause cresote.. so most won't burn them inside.. Also I was amazed when I joined and people posted about free wood delivery from tree services.. Extremely uncommon up north where over 18% of population burns wood. Why deliver it for free when ready supply of people will pay for it.. Most that I know burn what they get. meaning what's dead or storm damaged.. then what's cut from farmers fields.. if they are paying for it generally goes oak then sugar maple as BTU value.. but with EAB and Dutch Elm disease those are always in the mix.. and poplar and such because they break every wind storm.. OF course this is for woodstoves. .. outside boilers are far less picky.. Fireplaces are becoming less common as you cannot get a required energy-efficient rating with one...
We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks, we like burning Beech,Sugar Maple and some American Hophornbeam in the coldest months. Before the colder months move in we burn Hemlock,White Pine, Yellow Birch, Cherry and Red Maple. http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/hophornbeam Because we only take what's down or topped off, what we burn could change. I'm not sure if NYS has a program where you can cut on state land, I'll call the DEC this week for an answer.
The "state park" is a good portion private property. There is state land, then there is the "adirindack park". Most people I know dont acknowledge the APA. Cutting anything over 3" in "sensitive" areas is clear cutting and not allowed. Bunch of ridiculous rules. The old timers I've helped with wood go for oak lots of beech and junk maple. The ash borer is not up that high in NY state yet.
Boomstick - I was referring to the Adirondack Park land, not NY state forests or parks. I saw no logging activity on AP land, just private property. I noticed virtually no ash or oak in northern and eastern Adirondack region, (did not travel in NW section) but started to see some ash in southern part, and I agree, saw no presence/symptoms of EAB. Thanks for the reply.
The adirindack park, consists of private dwellings farms etc. Its all part of the park. Then there is state owned land which is also inside the park. Both of which need permits or aprovals money and a prayer. The state works with logging companies to manage state forests. Thousands of acres are held by paper mills, mining companies etc inside the park. Alot of the seasonal logging roads are used for snowmobiles and atvs. Its easy to do 100 miles on logging roads on a sled! There are ash trees, most of what I've seen black ash in lower elevation swamp areas. There are of course green and white in the valleys. I think most soil is too rockey for the ash otherwise.
I live near the Adirondacks. I would say Maple is the go to wood most people look for. I do know Fort Drum puts lots up for auction, both standing and logs. There are a fair amount of rules for the standing, but some great stuff. I won a 8 cord pile of black locust a few years back. The adirondack park has really tight rules on cutting, even on private land.