In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cold Frame anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by schlot, Sep 20, 2016.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Been toying with the idea of making a cold frame for the back yard.

    Anyone have experience and advice for building/using one?
     
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    :popcorn:
     
  3. bushpilot

    bushpilot

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2015
    Messages:
    3,240
    Likes Received:
    14,366
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    Got some to share? Nevermind, I found some.:popcorn:

    Never seriously considered a cold frame, but I have some large double-pane windows coming out, who knows?
     
  4. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    That's one of the same reasons I'm looking at it too. Have several windows available to me from a demo job.
     
    Eric VW, Well Seasoned and savemoney like this.
  5. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    There are so many uses for a cold frame. I have had them in the past. Some so simple. Like bales of spoiled hay laid out in a square and an old storm window on top. Just have to remember to move the window open some when the sun is out or everything will cook. They are great for extending the season and for early starts. If you put it up in the fall, lay black plastic on the ground inside it. It will absorb the heat and make the round warmer and get you off to any early start. Some of the best tomatoes I ever started we started in the cold frame. If you make it of wood. Line the inside wall with gallon milk bottles, spray painted black and filled with water. They will give heat back during the cold nights. Just remember, you have to be available to open and close a cold frame or you will loose your crop.
     
  6. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks, great info.

    I've read lettuce does well in fall cold frames.
     
    Eric VW and Well Seasoned like this.
  7. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    Some others do well also, Kale, other cool crop greens. Don't even bother with things that are tender for fall crops. There isn't enough daylight to deal with that.
     
    Eric VW, schlot and Well Seasoned like this.
  8. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    You can dig down in the frame and line the ground floor and sides with foam, also put in some wire cloth around the inside to about a foot down to stop vermin from coming in for lunch. Replace all the soil inside you frame with good compost. Remember, it is all about controlling the environment. Your free windows are window of opportunity.
     
    milleo, papadave, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  9. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,279
    Likes Received:
    58,484
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Thanks Saves...I was hoping someone would save me from having to ask the stupid question!! I now know what a cold frame is!
     
    Jeffrey Svoboda and schlot like this.
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    No such thing as a stupid question on this forum. You don't know until you ask or look it up. I tend to do both nearly every day. I love the challenge of looking into things.
     
    eatonpcat and papadave like this.
  11. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    Back in the day Cold Frames were really Urban Farming. Its a trendy word today, but back in the old days, people would go around and shovel up the horse manure off the road, mix in straw and build cold frames. Then with this free heat and nutrient source, raise veggies that they sold to patrons on the street. Kind of the precursor's to street vendors. It really worked well, it cleaned up the streets, gave poor people a means to make some money, and fed a hungry city.

    The only thing stupid about this thread is that I have ample sheep manure, the equipment, tools and everything, and yet I AM too stupid to do it. I do grow a garden, but for a family of six, and what I have for resources, it should be a lot bigger.
     
    eatonpcat and savemoney like this.
  12. Mitch Newton

    Mitch Newton

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    905
    Likes Received:
    3,366
    Location:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. Can get a little tiresome going down everyday and opening the window on sunny days.
     
    schlot likes this.
  13. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
  14. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    Chest freezers and even refrigerators flipped on their back work well. I have 3 I use every year to start cukes and tomatoes.Also start Romaine and spinach in March/April and after they are well started just take the window off. I walk by them every morning going to my truck so it's easy to remember to prop a 2x4 under the glass if the forecast calls for a warm day.