In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tips for Getting Free Firewood - Video

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Deacon Brad, Aug 31, 2016.

  1. Deacon Brad

    Deacon Brad

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    9
    I'm sure most folks here may have no use for this, but we recently put together this video with a few tips for getting free firewood that might be helpful for beginning hoarders. We have benefitted greatly from suggestions others shared with us, so we thought we might help others in turn. Jump to the 2:52 mark to get right to tips based on our experiences getting a lot of free firewood (we heat almost exclusively with wood). No doubt more experienced members could contribute many more great ideas. Blessings to all!

     
  2. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    I skipped thru the video but I think you missed mentioning networking with tree service companies. Many of us have been largely successful getting wood from them. Some delivered, others need to go and get it. A lot depends on where you live. What might be had delivered free in a suburban area can be unheard of in a rural area.
     
  3. Deacon Brad

    Deacon Brad

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    9
    Great suggestion. Unfortunately, our (us and others we know looking for free wood) experience around Raleigh, NC is that tree guys know what they have and are only interested in selling the uncut logs or split firewood. Price is decent for the amount of wood you get, but we haven't found any that are looking to unload it for free.
     
    Eric VW likes this.
  4. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    The interesting thing is, as a more of a commercial woodcutter, and one that has too many acres, I really don't value my wood like I should. I know at one time my brother and best friend used to come behind me, and just from the "tops" and limbs that I left behind, used to get enough wood to fill their 5 cord firewood sheds respectfully...and have plenty of more for the year. paper mills have a 4" diameter minimum, meaning you must top any limb or bole out at 4 inches. That is actually pretty big.

    In the Old Testament the bible said to leave "behind the corners of your fields for the needy" and I think that holds true today. I am leery of liability and letting just any ole person whack away with a chainsaw, but if asked, I would let them...and have even offered. Normally its not a loss because ultimately the wood will rot down and make soil, but I am clearing land. All those limbs, brush and dead fall are in my way now, and will only be bulldozed to the edge of the field, or burned in place.

    Free firewood is all around, people just need to ask.
     
    Hammy, Eric VW, Deacon Brad and 3 others like this.
  5. Boomstick

    Boomstick Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2016
    Messages:
    1,379
    Likes Received:
    4,615
    Location:
    Saratoga county ny
    Good video! I liked the part about the big oak that was too much. Solid advice.
    Good advice about how other people might be thinking or their expectations.

    I always worry about biting off more than I can do doing favors and meeting expectations. Its hard sometimes to take as much time to get a whole job done, possibly a whole weekend.

    The power of social media is great isn't it!
     
  6. NBourque

    NBourque

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2016
    Messages:
    261
    Likes Received:
    726
    Location:
    Maine
    All of my wood this year is from the tree service cutting in my area. I have over 4 cords just from them this year.
     
    Hammy and Eric VW like this.
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Glad you decided to pipe up, Deacon Brad and a neat vid too.:thumbs:
    Share some more when you have time, eh?
    :campfire:
     
  8. saskwoodburner

    saskwoodburner

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,612
    Likes Received:
    14,907
    Location:
    middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, Canada
    I liked the part about expectations and access.

    I responded to a local ad for free wood on Kijiji (like craigslist) recently. Ad just says 50-100 green standing poplar all sizes needed to be cut down, send a message. I figured if it was close, I could pull 3 cord out, and with my uncle and his buddies would have it barren in no time.

    Turns out it was about 30 miles away, no machinery to be used, no driving in truck access, no cutting any other trees (fir/birch/pine), everything to be ground stumped, and all brush and twigs cleaned up into one pile...:rolleyes:

    I mean if you're desperate for firewood, maybe, but that sounds like a pay someone kinda thing.