In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The Cell Phone Loud Mouth.....................

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Aug 25, 2016.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    After a tiring day, a commuter settled down in his seat and closed his eyes.
    As the train rolled out of the station, a woman sitting next to him pulled out her cell phone.
    She started talking in a loud voice: "Hi sweetheart. It's Suzy. I'm on the train".
    "Yes, I know it's the six thirty and not the four thirty, but I had a long meeting.
    No, honey, not with that Kevin from the accounting office. It was with the boss..
    No sweetheart, you're the only one in my life. Yes, I'm sure, cross my heart!"
    Fifteen minutes later, she was still talking loudly. When the man sitting next to her had enough,
    he leaned over and said into the phone, "Suzy, hang up the phone and come back to bed."
    Suzy doesn't use her cell phone in public any more......
     
  2. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    You know they say only 7% of American's do NOT have a cell phone. Since I am entrenched deeply in that camp (who would I talk to anyway), I just figure I am closer to being a 1%'er!!!
     
  3. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,475
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  4. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    You're probably right. I work within walking distance of the "ghetto", every day there's tents set up giving away free cell phones. I'm pretty sure every welfare recipient "in da hood" has a smart phone now.
     
  5. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,291
    Likes Received:
    58,579
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    First time I saw one of those tents was a month ago when I was in Durant, OK...Couldn't believe there were people there every time I drove by! :picard:
     
    rottiman likes this.
  6. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    The bad truth of it is some folks have several of those "free" phones. I've seen the tents set in Augusta and Waterville. Not exactly ghetto neighborhoods, but still enough foot traffic to keep the tents busy. Those phones are one thing I truly recent being forced to pay for.
     
  7. LodgedTree

    LodgedTree

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Messages:
    2,371
    Likes Received:
    9,428
    Location:
    Maine
    We hosted some kids from Haiti a few weeks ago...and don't get me wrong, I understand that in order to get funding they have to play up the sympathy card...I understand that and realize that compared to our country they are indeed poor, but after the end of the concert I noted most of the CHILDREN had smart phones. We are talking 5-10 year olds. I suppose I am being judgemental and shouldn't be, and maybe its just so they can stay in contact with their parents at home, but it put a question mark on how impoverished they really are.

    My 4 daughters; they hate me because I won't let them have them. I am not trying to be mean, its just in a few short years they will want NOTHING to do with their Mom and I, now is a very special time (3, 9,10, and 11); we can do without cell phones. BUT being debt free is one reason I could retire at age 42 and a cell phone bill is just one more bill to pay.
     
    GrJfer, TurboDiesel, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  8. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    Amen to you sir. Wise decision on your part for sure.
     
  9. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,197
    Location:
    Central MI
    Hum... Somehow this sounds like the time we made the decision when our 2 sons were young. Tv or no tv? We got rid of it and were never sorry. We really did have a lot of good times with our children. And come the weekend, we did not "go out" and leave the kids home. We usually stayed home and played with the kids and had a grand time.
     
  10. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I have to tell you that my kids did and are spending a lot of time with their kids. I think more so than I did. They all have TV. The little ones don't have cell phones, but the teenager does, the others are 20 or older. The ones who live here only get a limited amount of screen time. Then out the door while it is day light. When the snow comes, they still go out, but for much less time. The kids prefer computer screen time over TV. on the computer, they are always doing some computer interactive program and always right in front of us.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    I ended up giving my 8 year old step daughter my wife's old cell phone this summer. It's not hooked up to a cell signal so we don't pay anything, but I did get her a Google number so she can text and make phone calls over wifi. She doesn't spend a whole lot of time on it which is good, but I like that she can still text us when she's at her dads on the weekends since they used to never let her call us when she felt homesick.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Locust Post like this.
  12. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,475
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.

    Let me tell you about a 6 and 8 year old that had to have a smart phone. One of those cases where it is supposedly justified because of a divorce....(yeah right, try spoiled instead)

    Both kids are irresponsible with their phones resulting in numerous trips back to restaurants to look for the phone they forgot, that sort of thing.

    And then the 6 year old (male) gets caught with porn on his phone! Yeah, OK. They really need the phones.
     
    Backwoods Savage and rottiman like this.