In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

3 Hours with the 441

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by firecracker_77, Jan 26, 2014.

  1. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'll have to get pics up tomorrow, but I cut up a bunch of oak / maple rounds with the chainsaw today. Noodled and cut the pieces small. I have enough wood for the winter now. It won't be pretty in terms of fully seasoned, but the pieces are cut really small so they will dry as fast as they can. They have been sitting in rounds for a while so they are already partially dry. Given the small size, I will mix them later in the winter if I have to get into them at all. Otherwise, they'll be really good to go by next winter.

    I'm happy I have a 70cc saw for times like this when you need to make quick work. Cold weather is coming tomorrow, and I'm really on limited time given my work load these days. I used about 4-5 full tanks in all that cutting. Not too bad considering the output I got. I had a new chain to start the day. By the end of the day, either I was really tired or that chain was losing it's sharp edge.
     
  2. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    :popcorn:
     
    papadave likes this.
  3. HoneyFuzz

    HoneyFuzz

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    Messages:
    4,490
    Likes Received:
    14,862
    Location:
    Northeast , Ohio
    Sounds good !! Look forward to pics as well !!
     
  4. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Sounds like a great day! The big saws make short work of stuff for sure.
     
    swags likes this.
  5. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Pics :popcorn:

    Never happened :whistle:

    Sounds like a good day firecracker!
     
    mdavlee and HoneyFuzz like this.
  6. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Now it's snowing again...so my pictures may not happen. What a winter :confused:
     
    HoneyFuzz likes this.
  7. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Makes me thankful I got out there when I did. Given my goofy stacking / mounding, I'm eager for the snow to melt so I can see what my pile really looks like.
     
    DexterDay, mdavlee and HoneyFuzz like this.
  8. mdavlee

    mdavlee

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Messages:
    4,380
    Likes Received:
    10,479
    I'm sure the chain could need a touch up after that much cutting. Maybe in a few days you can get pictures of the pile.
     
    thistle and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    3 hrs on the same chain? Absolutely needs touched up. :)

    No matter the look, it's all BTU's! :thumbs:
     
    thistle, Backwoods Savage and mdavlee like this.
  10. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    Here's my stack. Like I said, there's some spruce, maple, and some oak mixed in not necessarily in that order. Hopefully, this and the rest of my stacks will carry me through.

    DSC00239.JPG
     
    milleo, Backwoods Savage and mdavlee like this.
  11. bogydave

    bogydave

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    10,313
    Likes Received:
    37,218
    Location:
    Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Great picture ! !
    Lots of noodling there, can tell you like running the saw :)
    Several varieties too.
    Very nice pile of wood

    Being short rounds, is it fairly dry ?
    Might stay dry better if stacked
    on pallets,
    Keep an eye on the chimney, clean as needed
    guessing fresh cut/split, it may need to be burned hot.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    The maple was in rounds cut about 6 months ago. The oak was cut in May '13. The Spruce is December wood. I will definitely have to mix it with dryer stuff or burn it hot like you said. I'm hoping to not touch it all and get it stacked nice this summer. But, it's my emergency stash just in case. It's going to be -18 tonight here, so I'm using way more fuel than normal.
     
  13. bocefus78

    bocefus78

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Messages:
    3,694
    Likes Received:
    19,840
    Location:
    Indiana
    Don't feel bad. I'm in the short on wood department too. Bought a face cord just so I didn't have to drive to my camper and bring home a trailer full of wood in negative temps. First time I have ever bought wood. It was a full load but typical wet as hell. At least it's locust and ash...not oak.
     
  14. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    I'm hoping to get a good bit of ash this summer. I would have had enough wood, but oh well...just glad that I will have some fuel left for the end albeit not great in terms of seasoning, but it's better than no flame.
     
    mdavlee and Backwoods Savage like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    firecracker, that much work may have been much shorter had you stopped to sharpen the chain. If you touch up the chain when you fill with gas or at least every other tank of gas it will pay great dividends. I remember Grandpa saying it is a very poor man who can't take the time to sharpen things. Of course he talked about saws, axes, knives, hoes, etc. But the chain saws, those really have to be kept sharp. If you catch yourself trying to muscle the saw through the log, you need to stop then and sharpen. Remember, these tools we have are meant to save us work and if you have to work pushing the saw through the wood.....
     
    firecracker_77, thistle and mdavlee like this.
  16. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Plus sharp tools are MUCH safer no matter what they are.....I touch up the chain 2-3 strokes with the file (depending on what I'm cutting and/or if its frozen etc) every tank of fuel.
     
    mdavlee and firecracker_77 like this.
  17. firecracker_77

    firecracker_77

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,481
    Likes Received:
    3,606
    Location:
    IL
    This chain needs a good sharpening now. I loved it though...when it was brand new out of the package it was like a hot knife on butter. :D
     
    DexterDay and mdavlee like this.