In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cell Phone Carriers and Phone Compatibility Help?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by wildwest, Jul 3, 2016.

  1. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,669
    Likes Received:
    144,709
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Hi,

    I have a droid turbo on a verizon prepaid plan. I agreed to get a 24 month ATT contract for my new bundle deal.

    Anyway I can program the droid turbo for ATT? Nicest phone I have ever had.

    PS, we use a Wilson amplifier so we only get 3G here, now worries on no 4G or LTE.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    There are two type of cellphones, cdma gsm. Check online to see which providers offer which.
     
    clemsonfor and wildwest like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    wildwest , as far as I know, Verizon is CDMA, and ATT is GSM
    Unless something's changed, I don't think they're cross compatible.
    I've been wrong before though.......I think it was '72. :D:rofl: :lol:
     
  4. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    I belive that is correct.
     
  5. concretegrazer

    concretegrazer

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,429
    Likes Received:
    12,455
    Location:
    Southwest MO
    If you were LTE then more than likely yes. But At&t's 3g is HSPA & Verizon's is CDMA so for data your out.
     
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  6. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,669
    Likes Received:
    144,709
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I do not get LTE out here in the boonies, 3G only. I do not think I use data........ Text and phone calls only, no internet. Does texting pictures count as data?
     
    Eric VW and Horkn like this.
  7. Grizzly Adam

    Grizzly Adam Guest

    It doesnt count against you data supposedly, but at least on verizon you can't get your photo messages with you data disabled (the old lady turns it off when she is at workto keep from having background apps used the data).
     
  8. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Out where your at there is ATT?? ATT sucks around here and all over the state here. There isn't a bit of ATT signal within miles of here. When nib had virgin mobile it was better on the sprint network. WAY better.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  9. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,490
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Texting pics counts against your data.

    And yes, of you have a Verizon phone, you are stuck with Verizon, unless you get a new phone. All the rest use the same type, but Verizon is special.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  10. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,490
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Att is apparently not that great in some parts of the south east. It's fine in Florida, I can tell you that. It's also great in California and most other areas. Around here Verizon, sprint and t mobile suck. Badly. Those only work in the cities around here.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  11. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Not true. Sprint network and ATT I beleive are different.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Not with Verizon it doesn't contain against my data I don't think? When my data is cut off I am pretty sure I can still get pics? Back before I had data plans I texted pics just as much.
     
    wildwest and Horkn like this.
  13. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    That's so crazy. Around here verizon is the only good one all over. It's your only choice in the country and rural areas. ATT sucks hard in country. It's only along the interstate corridors and city. And even in cities it's not that good in big cities in SC. Sprint/virgin is not even as good as ATT , I kept them for just over 2 years cause virgin was cheap. They too suck hard and are only along the highway and cities. Even some smaller towns don't have sprint in sc/ga
     
    wildwest and Horkn like this.
  14. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,490
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    They are different, but only att and us cellular are worth having here. If you don't live in the city that is, or don't go into the country.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  15. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,669
    Likes Received:
    144,709
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Is this correct? If I get an unlocked cell phone that uses a sim card I can use if for ATT?
     
    Horkn likes this.
  16. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I am pretty sure that's correct.

    I had to go verizon cause that's the only one worth anything. I had to make sure I didn't buy verizon unlocked as it won't work on verizon.

    If you look at the big cell retailers on ebay the big ones tell you what network the phone will work on.

    I bought my galaxy s5 off ebay used and am very pleased with it. Sure I am 2 models behind current now. But the s5 actually has stats that are better than the iphone 6
     
    wildwest likes this.
  17. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,490
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Yes , that's correct. I got my wife's phone that way. Bought her an unlocked phone, and simply got the sim card from the att store.
     
    wildwest and clemsonfor like this.
  18. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,179
    Likes Received:
    166,490
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Most androids are far better performance and component wise than iPhones. Apple fanboys simply pay for a name, not performance.
     
    wildwest and clemsonfor like this.