In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dining room and bathroom remodel

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by swags, Jan 26, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    We're redoing our entire house one room at a time. Almost finished with the dining room now. Need to install outlets and put up the baseboard, baseboard is expensive though. We're going with the original design and it's 1"x9" and need to have it custom made. While I'm waiting on that we are getting into the 1/2 bath off that room. It's amazing how much more work it is working on a house from the 1800s. None of the walls are square which is the hardest part, but I'm really enjoying it. Wife loves helping too which is great and her decor is really cool. Every room is gutted down to the studs, and all new electric, plumbing, and insulation is added.
     

    Attached Files:

    gmule, Trilifter7, Woodwidow and 5 others like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Looking good so far. Its never ending huh? This is something we have done here over the years. Now the last 2 areas are kitchen- near future, currently remodeling the bathroom. Its getting alittle technical, but the shower is finished. Keep us posted- needs to be done by the G2G, lol :p
     
    Woodwidow likes this.
  3. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ya I need to do another 2000 sq ft so won't be done by then but hope to have these wrapped up and most of the master bathroom and bedroom finished by then.
     
    Woodwidow likes this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    I hear ya on the room by room, can be very time consuming and costly. I'm a carpenter and I'm into my project (just like yours, room by room) for 6 yrs now.
    My home is a 1880's farmhouse. The downstairs rooms have 1x9 base with basecap. The trim on the jams is fluted 1x6 with rosettes. The details are tough to keep up with because of the cost. The mill makes the reproduction pieces that I can't make in poplar and they want a pretty penny to make it. I have 2 rooms left to do, the kitchen and the floors on the first floor, the rest is finished. Not to mention, the frame is a balloon frame, they are tough to insulate.
    Good luck working on yours, I enjoyed the pics of your 'work in progress'. Keep it up!
     
    Woodwidow and savemoney like this.
  5. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Yes ours was built in 1880 as well. Same trim on the doors and windows as your describing too. The windows are huge too, and we have 27 on the main house and another 8 in a sunroom. There is French windows on the main floor that are 7' tall, really pretty windows that we kept in there and put a new window on the outside so it looks like a storm window.
     
  6. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I like the way the crown moulding is done. Did the same in two of my rooms. Much easier to put up than those butt end cuts. Also, put mine up with a nail gun. What a difference doing it with that while you try to hold it in place. After that job, I went out and bought several size nail guns. Only wish I hadn't bought such a big compressor. I have to run the hose everywhere because my compressor is to big for me to pull around. I've seen some of the airless guns, but I can't justify the cost. Good job with the redo. Do you plan to stay there?
     
    Woodwidow likes this.
  7. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Not planning on staying, I can make good money on this house and plan to sell it once competed. Plan is to build a house next. I used a finish nailer as well here, and also glued all the corner pieces. I had tried to butt corners together but these walls are not square so the corner pieces were much easier. I like the extra detail the corner pieces put in so will do the same as we go around the house.
     
    Woodwidow likes this.
  8. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Looks good so far! There's nothin like remodeling an old home. Mine was built in the 1920's and im lucky if i can find a square room. But i think it gives the house some character
     
    Trilifter7, swags and Woodwidow like this.
  9. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,286
    Likes Received:
    66,685
    Location:
    IN
    Your house doesn't have to be old to be out of square. My first house was built in 1970 by a guy who apparently didn't own a tape measure or a level. It looked fine, but any time you put down flooring, countertops, trim....you always noticed how much you were gaining or losing on measurements. Tile was the worst...
     
    swags likes this.
  10. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    Looking good bro! Looking good! Do you hire out? I need both of my bathrooms remodeled. ;)
     
    Woodwidow likes this.
  11. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Ya I'll be out when I finish my place!
     
    DexterDay likes this.