In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scary, you just never know where or when.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by savemoney, Jun 27, 2016.

  1. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
  2. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,763
    Location:
    KC Metro
    For home defense... Mine is the mossburg home defense shotgun with pistol grip... Nothing rings your not welcome here like the pump of a shotgun... But for my CCW is my 9mm Walther PPS (thin single wide magazine holds 6), then my Glock 45 which hold 10 in the mag I think, then my pocket gun is the Sig 380. But as Lukem said anything with you is better than that gun at home... I like the crossbreed holsters with horse hide in the summer time it suppose to take sweat better than cowhide.
     
    schlot and TurboDiesel like this.
  3. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    For home protection I don't think anything beats a pump shotgun. That's what I kept behind my bedroom door until I had kids in the house, now I've switched to several full sized handguns locked throughout the house.

    As far as handguns go, a full sized is much easier to shoot. The only advantage of a compact is it's easier to conceal and lighter on your belt so they're best left for when you'll be carrying it on you.

    I don't get hung up too much on calibers. In my house loaded and ready to go I have a 9mm, a .357 mag, and a .45 ACP. My compact carry guns are a 9mm, a .380 ACP, and a .38 Special. I'm confident that any of them would make your average thug turn and run.
     
    TurboDiesel and Chvymn99 like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    If its for self defense , there should be a round in the chamber!
    Racking the slide only gives your position away!
     
    bobdog2o02 likes this.
  5. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    I carry 24/7.
     
    TurboDiesel likes this.
  6. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    HOw does that work when you're in the shower? :D
     
  7. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    It's a water pistol?? :)
     
    TurboDiesel, milleo and bobdog2o02 like this.
  8. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    Maybe he doesn't shower?

    Or this:

    courtesy-prepper-resources.com_.jpg
     
    unclefess, milleo, bobdog2o02 and 3 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,632
    Location:
    Vermont
    it is scary, I feel for you guys that need to bring a gun everywhere.. I keep 1 in car.. many at house.. But my house is unlocked.. I not sure where house keys are.. keys for cars ...tractor.. etc are in ignition at home.. I lock car when I go to town. my guns are more for coy dogs then people... probably shoot average 100 rounds week in back yard range.. my neighbors and I are all great friends..

    Last time guns came out cub scouts were up for 2nd annual sleep outside trip 6 dad's from town were there we had some time by firepit everybody showing what they brought.. few of dad's were like can we bring older sons up to target shoot for hunting license.. OK

    I like the fact my area seems like mayberry!
     
  10. Dana B

    Dana B

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2014
    Messages:
    607
    Likes Received:
    1,588
    Location:
    Southern New Hampshire

    Seems is the operative word right?

    A few years back in one of our small rural NH towns we had a mother hacked to death by four punks with machetes and her daughter would have met the same fate if she hadn't played dead under the bed.

    I don't like the idea of having to have a gun either but things look like they're going to get very ugly. I don't know why people insist on believing that just because their lives have been relatively peaceful, stable and manageable in the past that it will always be that way.
     
  11. bobdog2o02

    bobdog2o02

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2015
    Messages:
    3,010
    Likes Received:
    10,445
    Location:
    Drury Lane, PA
    Close, but it's more like this...
    20160706_182548.jpg
     
  12. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    You guys don't keep an AR15 in a bag in the shower? Weird.
     
  13. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,557
    Likes Received:
    76,371
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Take a look at me carrying a SIG P239 - and it isn't where you think it is. It helps that it is a mid-size and not full. I also have been known to wear a Taurus Pocket-type - but not in a pocket.

    XDM shoots nice. The Ex had one and although it was a bit big for my hands, I still shot it very well.
     
  14. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    Is that a holster clip...carrying 3:00 - 4:00 IWB?

    Edit looks more like AIWB on the right.
     
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    bogieb likes this.
  15. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,557
    Likes Received:
    76,371
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Yes, that is the back clip. To tell you the truth, I couldn't even see it and it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about.
     
  16. bogieb

    bogieb

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2015
    Messages:
    12,557
    Likes Received:
    76,371
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    Most people focus on my left front pocket.
     
  17. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    So AIWB on the right? Carry spotting is fun when out and about.
     
    bogieb and TurboDiesel like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Appendix
     
    bogieb likes this.
  19. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    :thumbs:
     
    bogieb likes this.
  20. unclefess

    unclefess Guest

    i like the braid :D
     
    bogieb likes this.