In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

So am I in the club now?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by swags, Jan 26, 2014.

  1. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    I posted about the corn burner a while ago. After a lot of conversations with Dex about how to clean and run the stove I got the whole thing torn apart and cleaned. It wasnt burning well with just the corn so I followed his advise as blocked some of the air wash and a few holes in the top of the pot to get more air to the burn. I got a cool little brush to clean the exhaust vents out and scrubbed them then ran a blower through the stove and vacuumed everything out. Found a bolt that controlled the air inlet and opened it up a little more too. She's up and running now with a mix of corn and pellets. Burning way better now, first burns I tried the corn wasn't burning all the way and it built up and blocked the feed. But the pellets in there are making a much better burn. Thanks Dex
     

    Attached Files:

  2. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    Congrats on the stove!

    You get my vote, however, you must send your club dues (in the form of the finest swill you can find) to our treasurer and secretary (Jay and Will). Thank you :D
     
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    will711 and swags like this.
  3. smoke show

    smoke show

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,983
    Likes Received:
    13,948
    Location:
    Pittsfield, Wi
    Congrats on the resurrection. Where are we using the heater?
     
  4. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    It's in a room off the kitchen, big room and those two are the farthest from the wood stove so the coldest rooms. I have it running on low 2 out of 10 for the feed and it really made a big difference already on that side of the house.
     
    will711 and smoke show like this.
  5. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    Welcome to the pellet world :)
     
    savemoney likes this.
  6. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    He's crossed the line and gone to the dark side
     
    imacman, savemoney, 343amc and 4 others like this.
  7. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    We just hooked us another fish! :)
     
  8. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
     
  9. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    Very nice! After the cold spells we have been having I'm contemplating put a pellet stove in somewhere to supplement the wood stove in the early part of the morning.
     
    DexterDay and will711 like this.
  10. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Are you sure you won't consider a small wood burner as your #2?
     
  11. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    The force is strong with us :p lol
     
    IHATEPROPANE, 343amc and will711 like this.
  12. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    You guys are a strong, close, strong knitted group.
    I wonder what the numbers are? wood burner to pellet burners?
    anyone know??
     
  13. slvrblkk

    slvrblkk

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    6,647
    Likes Received:
    29,535
    Location:
    Northampton, PA
    I'm not sure but we might be in the minority here....I wonder if someone knows????????
     
  14. will711

    will711

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    50,828
    Location:
    Pocono Mts.
    I do both , pellets are great, consistent heat .
     
    343amc likes this.
  15. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    I burn both as well. But if I had to buy my firewood then I'd burn 100% pellets.

    Congrats on bringing that stove back to the land of the living swags.
     
    will711 likes this.
  16. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Be careful, he's flopping in and out of the boat. He has a chance to burn with a secondary wood stove.... :)
     
  17. jtakeman

    jtakeman Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,312
    Likes Received:
    55,506
    Location:
    NW CT foothills
    Wait until he finds out the stove could burn a couple a days on a single fill! :D
     
    343amc, swags, slvrblkk and 1 other person like this.
  18. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    Man that thing cranks heat! I turned it down to 1 on the auger, I'm now thinking I should have put it in the basement and run duct work up to the main floor. Will probably do that this summer, would you tie it into the existing ductwork? Or just run a single shot up to the main floor?
     
  19. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    I saw they have the same one that you just installed on Craigslist up above Columbus. It was showing it can be tied into the ductwork. I have been wanting a pellet furnace for a long time and something like this might just be the ticket. Seems like you are liking yours pretty well.
     
  20. swags

    swags Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    4,455
    Likes Received:
    13,240
    Location:
    NE Ohio
    It's great! Even heat and not much maintenance. Still liking my wood stove more, radiant heat, love chainsaws and splitters, and I don't pay for wood. But I do pay for equipment. That said I will probably continue to run both. Have the best of both worlds, enjoy the wood stove and the work that it gives me and have the benefit of the even long lasting heat of a pellet stove.
     
    343amc, will711 and slvrblkk like this.