I live in South Australia and have just had a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 installed. Seems a fantastic heater. Red gum is the main hard wood here. It seems to be burning well. Loaded up and with the air vent fully closed I am still getting flames with an almost blue tinge to them. I loaded for an overnight burn but 7 hours later there were some Coles left but not hot. The guide says this fire can burn for 10 plus hours fully loaded with red gum. I live on a steep slope ( near the bottom ), almost in a valley with trees on the other side. My flue is is about 30 feet high and straight. It is near the ridge on the roof and extends 4 feet above it. It has a normal cowl. There is no flue damper. Any advice? Would an anti backdraft cowl assist? ( I didn't notice any downdraft ). Thanks for any help
I ran an Alderlea T5 with the 2.1 cu. ft. firebox. On N. American hardwood, it's tough to get 8 hours of effective heat out of it. Getting a little blue flame with the draft closed sounds exactly right for efficient burning. Do you get smoke out of the chimney?
Hi Mike, No, There was no smoke. Maybe I just need to give up on the idea of overnight burns - not sure why they would promote this if not really possible.
Welcome Peter Metcalfe Good opening question, hope some more folks will happen along to chime in. Tell us about this red gum.....how long cut/split/stacked? If it's been more than a year, maybe ok. But being located in what we call a "holler" maybe it could take longer to season? Can you get a hold of a moisture meter? If you want to, maybe post a few pics of your set up, wood stacks, etc.... Either way, we're glad to have you here, from the other side of the world to boot, Sir!
Welcome to FHC Peter. Do you have any pictures of your set-up? We like pics... Sounds like your burning good. I believe that 6-8 hours will be the best you can do even with that good hard wood you have down there.
I'd have to say with a 1.6 firebox 7 hrs is pretty darn good. Those advertised burn times are usually exaggerated or the conditions have to be just right like the wind coming from the west at 2.66666 mph, relative humidity at 26.999999% while you are standing on your head in front of the stove all 10 hrs. Glad to have you aboard Peter Metcalfe
Welcome aboard, Peter Metcalfe , glad to have someone from Australia (a place my wife would LOVE to visit). Seems like we have another member from there as well? I'd agree that size stove probably isn't capable of holding usable heat for an overnight burn. My stove is advertised as 3.5 cu. ft., and I can get 8-9 hours of somewhat usable heat. Nature of the beast, so to speak.