In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cell signal strength?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by DaveGunter, Jan 20, 2014.

  1. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    Am I right in interpreting cellular signal strength expressed in terms of dBm as -90 dBm is a stronger signal than -100 dBm?

    I just switched our home Internet service from satellite to cellular, and am trying to locate the receiver in the best place. The receiver has an interface that shows signal strength in dBm and I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the number.
     
  2. 343amc

    343amc

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1,749
    Likes Received:
    5,770
    Location:
    Northeast Lower Michigan
    Correct. The lower the dbM value, the better the received signal.

    I used cellular internet a few years back after kicking my satellite internet provider to the curb. I needed an outdoor cell antenna booster/repeater with a directional antenna to get a decent enough signal in the house.