In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Black oak sprouts

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nitrodave, Jun 4, 2016.

  1. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,091
    Likes Received:
    7,481
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    I had to cut down some damaged Black Oaks last fall. I noticed yesterday (on the road a lot) that several of the stumps have multiple sprouts from them. One has over 50 sprouts comming from it. I was thinking of removing all but 3 of the sprouts from each trunk. Would this put more energy into the sprouts or should I leave them alone ?
     
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    49,005
    Likes Received:
    312,351
    Location:
    Central MI
    That is what we usually do Dave. That is, we cut off all but the best 2 or 3 sprouts.
     
  3. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Prune baby prune, Dennis is right. The few remaining shoots will grow fast and strong, future :woodsign:
     
  4. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    Google coppice or coppicing. That's what you are starting out to do.
     
  5. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,091
    Likes Received:
    7,481
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    Thanks all.. A pruning I will go.. :saw::saw:
     
  6. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,780
    Likes Received:
    66,373
    Location:
    Central PA
    The existing rootstock should drive fast growth in the ones you leave!