In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Added a probe and digital controller

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Smokinpiney, Jan 24, 2014.

  1. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    All i can say is i should've done this a long time ago. My buddy had an extra digital PID temp controller so we hooked it up in the bedroom and installed a thermocouple probe in the pipe about 12" above the stove. My old smoke dragon wood furnace is in the basement so im constantly running up and down to check on temps for reloading. And when it makes a funny pop or ping in the dead of night i don't have to jump out of bed to check on it now. I just roll over and see what the stack temp is. I ordered two probes so i can install one in the firebox and run a controller in the living room. Sorry no pics but i'll snap a few after work today.
     
  2. Pallet Pete

    Pallet Pete Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    13,479
    Likes Received:
    54,102
    Location:
    Ovid
    I'd love to see that!
     
  3. DexterDay

    DexterDay Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2013
    Messages:
    12,411
    Likes Received:
    31,637
    Location:
    Northeast Oh
    :popcorn: Subscribed. Sounds interesting. Been wanting to do something similar myself.
     
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    That sounds like a great idea, especially for you not having the stove on the same floor.
    I'd be curious if that device could be made into an audible alarm? When the temps get down to a certain temp the alarm would sound.?
     
  5. Smokinpiney

    Smokinpiney

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,811
    Likes Received:
    20,675
    Location:
    "South" Jersey
    Pics. The probe was only $6 on amazon and you can find similar controllers in the $30-$40 range. It's a very simple setup. Install probe where you want to measure temps, attach probe wires to type K thermocouple wire that runs to wherever you want the controller. The type K wire can be bought in all different lengths. Most controllers have one or two alarms you can set at desired temps. Im still tryin to figure out how to set mine (no instructions)

    Here's a link to the probes i ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKX86TO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    [​IMG]

    Little dusty in the basement :emb:
    [​IMG]
     
    DexterDay likes this.
  6. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    That's awesome. I may get one.... even though I only have to walk down the hallway:rolleyes:
     
  7. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    Something like this may catch us up with the pellet folks. Leave it and forget it kind of thinking....The alarm would sound when the temps come in to reloading time. Not the every hour on the hour look into the stove room to see what the stoves glass tells us. I like it, would be willing to see how well smokin makes out with it before I get to work on one. I'm not quite that into electronics