In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cutting some ash today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by t4driller, Jun 1, 2016.

  1. t4driller

    t4driller

    Joined:
    May 17, 2016
    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    621
    Location:
    Southwest pa
    uploadfromtaptalk1464802785021.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1464802791385.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1464802796206.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1464802800837.jpg Got some time today to go cut some ash trees. There's 2 there that I cut. The bigger one is about 24 inch and the other is 12 or so. The bigger one has a nice somewhat straight section at bottom that's 28 feet long and stays 24 inches wide for that length. I'm going to save that part to make something out of and the rest will go into 2017 wood pile. Nice day to be in the woods, not to hot in the shade.
     
  2. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    Nice work, and welcome to the club! :handshake: Looked at your saw collection in the other thread too... :dex:

    Were they EAB kill? Top looks dead, but they don't look chewed up as badly as some that I've seen. I saw a lot of dead ash driving thru NW PA recently.

    Do you plan to mill it?
     
  3. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Love me some good ash.....
     
  4. Ashwatcher

    Ashwatcher

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2015
    Messages:
    2,001
    Likes Received:
    13,648
    Location:
    West By God Viginia
    Welcome t4driller, you're gonna like it here, I guarantee it. Always good knocking out some ash...
     
  5. t4driller

    t4driller

    Joined:
    May 17, 2016
    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    621
    Location:
    Southwest pa
    Thank you, they are all EAB kill. It's a shame that they are all dead or dieing. I don't know what my plans are for it yet. I would love to mill it up, but don't have a mill. I've been looking at buying a Alaskan mill. Is there any you guys prefer over another, without getting to crazy on price??
     
  6. t4driller

    t4driller

    Joined:
    May 17, 2016
    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    621
    Location:
    Southwest pa
    uploadfromtaptalk1464810648825.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1464810654596.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1464810659930.jpg leaving the woods now. Was a productive day. It's been awhile since I went out and cut for a couple hrs.
     
  7. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Nice work, MORE ash in the stash.
    Pretty steep hill in that first pic:D
     
  8. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Way to get after it t4. That will be some nice BTUs for ya.
     
  9. t4driller

    t4driller

    Joined:
    May 17, 2016
    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    621
    Location:
    Southwest pa
    Yes it was a little steep. 15 feet behind that first pic is a very steep drop off. Had to use a couple wedges to get it to fall up the hill.
     
  10. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,375
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Nice job! Nice wood!

    Welcome aboard.
     
    NH mountain man and Eric VW like this.
  11. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    It's much faster and generally cheaper to find a local portable bandsaw miller if you can get the logs somewhere they can drive up to.
     
  12. Unicorn1

    Unicorn1

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2013
    Messages:
    2,282
    Likes Received:
    8,917
    Location:
    Amarillo, TX
    Very nice wood haul.
     
  13. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    Welcome to the club t4, enjoy that good ash. Lucky for you the weather is not too hot to be cutting
     
  14. t4driller

    t4driller

    Joined:
    May 17, 2016
    Messages:
    200
    Likes Received:
    621
    Location:
    Southwest pa
    There's a guy I have taken logs to in the past. He milled up 2 logs 12 feet long 30 inches wide, for 20 dollars. Just have to get them there. But would like my own mill so I could do it on the spot. I don't have a good way to load or haul it.