In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rescue dog, maybe yes, or no ?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Beetle-Kill, May 20, 2016.

  1. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Saw the sweetest sad dog on my local shelters websight. 1.5 yr old female black Lab/mix. She was found in a dumpster with 7 newborn pups. Pups are weaned and adopted so she's on her own now.
    I'd like to get a companion for my fat dog (yellow Lab, female), just not sure if I should do this.
    I may have a meeting this weekend, so the two of them can sniff butts and whatever dogs do, but I'm not sold on the idea yet.
    I need some questions I can answer, so I make the right decision. Trying to keep emotion out of it.
    Thanks, JB
     
  2. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I was unsure about having 2 dogs at a time, but it worked out well. They really do entertain each other. Now I think 2 dogs are better than one. When it comes to training a pup, having 2 makes all the difference. Diesel was 1 year old when we got Turbo. When we wanted Turbo to go outside, we'd tell Diesel to take Turbo outside. When we wanted Turbo to come back in, we'd call Diesel and Turbo would follow. Never knew it could be so easy to teach a dog to go outside and do its business.

    I will say that the new dog has to understand that YOU are the leader of the pack. Let us know how you make out!
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 6 others like this.
  3. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    I had the same conversation with myself, that was four dogs ago:rolleyes:. Dogs are an emotional thing, do what feels right.
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 6 others like this.
  4. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    2 dogs make everyone involved happier. Just gotta get through the new situation/training first.

    Also, consider this..... lock your wife and the dogs in the trunk for a few hours, then open it up and see who's happy to see you.:thumbs:

    Good luck deciding....
     
    Smokinpiney, Horkn, wildwest and 13 others like this.
  5. DaveGunter

    DaveGunter

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    3,894
    Likes Received:
    22,936
    Location:
    Far Away Ranch, Meadowbrook Forest
    I'm going to remember that one:rofl: :lol:
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 8 others like this.
  6. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,772
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    greatest thing we ever did was 2 dogs. Hopefully they get along, all will be happy.
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 3 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,609
    Location:
    Vermont
    how old is you other dog? can she handle an active younger dog wanting to play? if so you are good to go. I mean they are both labs.. what will they fight over besides the couch. and table scraps.. I love labs..

    oh yeah training a second dog is easy if first dog is trained
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 5 others like this.
  8. bassJAM

    bassJAM

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2014
    Messages:
    1,999
    Likes Received:
    6,021
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    We picked up an 8 month old lab/beagle/GSD mix a year ago as a companion to our golden retriever, Fin who is 3 now. It took a few weeks for the Fin to accept her but they are best buds now. Although my wife and I both admit that Fin is a member of our family, but Izzy, the new dog, is just Fin's pet. She's a good dog and all, but Fin is practically part human, while Izzy is just a sweet dog.
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 5 others like this.
  9. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Our Harvey was a rescue pup- mostly lab with a smantering of Basset and a pinch of dummy, but he is loyal and caring. To us. Now, to his bigger brother Henry, he's a pain in the butt. Most of the time.
    :thumbs:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 6 others like this.
  10. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I'm sure you know it's a life time commitment, but I agree that two dogs seem to be happier than one by itself. Its seems to be some type of ying and yang thing.... or is it woof and bark? :)
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 5 others like this.
  11. saskwoodburner

    saskwoodburner

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2015
    Messages:
    2,612
    Likes Received:
    14,907
    Location:
    middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, Canada
    The fact they're both female should make it a fairly easy transition if you choose to do so. The current dog might be a little put off at first, but dogs in the same home and yard will find their balance.

    I'd ask if the dog has any food aggression issues, and how it behaves around children. Above all, if you bring new dog home, make a deal out of showing both dogs that you are the top dog (even if current dog is well behaved).
     
  12. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    I just read that to the wife...:bug:

    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

    :handshake:
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 6 others like this.
  13. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF

    And her reaction? :heidi::pain:
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 5 others like this.
  14. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    For what it is worth, I think two dogs behave better than one. So long as I am able to take care of my pets, I intend on having two dogs with me. I'm a lab man but I am sure it would work out with other dogs.
     
    Horkn, wildwest, Beetle-Kill and 6 others like this.
  15. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Thank you all for the input. Not surprised that no one said - "No! Don't do it!"
    So, we're dog shopping tomorrow. I know, sounds weird.
    I haven't heard from the one shelter about "Iris"- black Lab. on whether tomorrow works or not. My closer shelter will expect us tomorrow mid-morning for a meet-n-greet with a few candidates. So, we're all in on a new family member. Oh yeah, and a new cat. grrrrrr....
    I'll keep an update when we finally decide, but looks like we'll be a 2-dog, 3-cat stick framed litter box before too long. :picard::rofl: :lol:

    Oh yeah, WS, asked the wife about the dog/wife trunk thing. Told her it would be a compatibility test, she'd have to do it. I said it with a straight face.

    I can't repeat her response in good company. :thumbs::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  16. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    what about in a Pm? cause, I'd love to hear it....:dex:
    or better yet a video...:heidi:

    :rofl: :lol:
     
  17. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Heh heh, too late for video.
    Brief summary- What the #%$@ are you talking about?! &$#@ that, I'm not crawling in your trunk with those *&@#ing dogs for a few hours, nope! not gonna happen!! You do it, I'll watch !- but she did say it in a mellow and sweet tone if that helps.

    I think I spotted.
     
  18. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    :handshake:

    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:
     
  19. Beetle-Kill

    Beetle-Kill

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2013
    Messages:
    4,102
    Likes Received:
    19,559
    Location:
    Near the Divide, Colorado
    Quick question-
    My beast -Lily the Lab.- is pushing 9 years old. Still spry but fat. Should we look for a young dog, or does it matter ?
    Just trying to figure out compatibility. Or does age really matter? We saw one we'll look at tomorrow who is around her age.
    Just curious about adopting an older dog.
     
    Well Seasoned, Horkn and wildwest like this.
  20. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,648
    Likes Received:
    144,591
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    x10!! I had one dog in the late 80's, since and addition of another dog a year later, potty training has been SOOOOO much easier with learning from the already housetrained one. At one point around 2000 we had 5 dogs, same result, we will always have 2 dogs now instead of 1.