In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Sporting clays/hunting gun

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by mywaynow, May 7, 2016.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow

Thinking about getting this for SC shooting, trap and lastly for bird hunting (though I don't do any bird hunting currently). Sold a couple guns and this piece is in the budget. Browning Citori CX 12 gauge with 28 inch barrels.
    CX.jpeg
    Has 3 triggers, extended choke tubes and the vent rib is a 60/40, which means it is not positioned to shoot high like trap guns, or lower like a field hunter. Somewhere in the middle. It was sold prior as the Crossover Target.

At the same pricepoint is the White Lightning Citori, which I really like. Beautiful piece. More show and less go
    whitelightning.jpeg

Can't go wrong either way I think. Just looking for opinions and anyone with some experience with either piece.

wildwest and Beetle-Kill like this.
  2. Will C

Will C

Experience-none. Opinion-I love that White Lightning!

3. CtRider

CtRider

I have a 32" barreled Beretta and it kills me to hunt with - it's too nice. In hindsight o would have went with a gun that I wouldn't cry over every scratch. Plus 32" barrel is a pain to lug around the woods

4. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I'm a super novice. As a rule, I prefer more "go" with or without the show. It looks like there is more recoil padding on the CX. Is that correct? Does that matter to you? Buy whatever you like and never look back.

5. chbryson

chbryson

I will chime in here a little. I shoot A LOT and although mostly shoot trap now competitively, I have shot my share of sporting and skeet targets, and have many Brownings in multiple gauges and set ups. What I will throw out is this. Both guns are on a citori receiver so the guts are identical. The differences are going to come with the stock/ barrel configurations. If you don't plan to bird hunt with it a lot, I would go with the top choice. Shooting sporting, is mostly a mounted gun game, which is partly why the crossover target has more of a straight stock versus the more of an angle front to back on the lightning. The angle is to allow you to pick up the gun quickly (like when a bird flushes) and get a fairly good gun mount. Without pulling the specs, I would bet the lighting is shorter in length for more hunting clothes/ vests being worn. Also the lighting is more than likely gonna have a plastic pad, not good if you plan on shooting it any.
    With the crossover, the gun will feel more comfortable when mounting, and if you shoot any larger (still sporting legal speeds and shells) the gun will be less likely to hit you in the face, because it is more of a parallel stock to the beads. Also, the gun should be a little longer, most brownings are usually around 14 5/8" length of pull, with a recoil pad, which again, I would probably change to an aftermarket softer pad if you are going to shoot it much.

Now for my opinion.
    If you are rarely going to shoot this for live birds, get it in at least 30" barrels. Guys with 28" guns for sale can't give them away. They tend to be too quick moving and unless its a dedicated skeet gun, good luck controlling 28" barrels on longer shots for sporting clays.

Also, unless you are dead set on a new gun, I would go to some clubs and see what guys have for sale. Save a couple hundred over new and buy ammo. Although, I can honestly say, that the gun is the cheapest part of the game. If you don't believe that go to any club and ask a fairly serious shooter and they can vouch for that.

That gun originally started as basically an XS Skeet when I got mine in about 2000, now they have had about 3-4 versions of it since then. I am not the type of guy to buy a used gun, or sell any of my guns for that matter, I would buy a used Browning in a heartbeat. The Citori receiver is pretty easy to work on and I have a buddy that has had easily 500,000 rounds through his citori (XT trap) and he has replaced springs and firing pins only, never a rebuild or anything. The trigger system is ok and kinda neat, but once you find the shoe that you like, you will never touch the triggers again more than likely.

We have a lot of guys starting out at trap that will buy an "all around gun" and quickly realize that there are some major differences between a dedicated gun of whatever the clay game (skeet/ trap/ sporting) and a field gun. If they are serious and stick with a particular discipline, they quickly buy another dedicated gun and the "all around gun" is in the closet or gets sold.

Shooting trap and skeet, here are the guns I went through:

Started- '99-'00
    Ithaca SKB field gun 12 ga 30"
    2001-Browning XS Skeet 30" 12 ga Attempted all around for about 2 years
    2003-BT99 pigeon 32" trap singles and then the XS Skeet for doubles
    2000- XS 30"for Sporting only 12 ga
    XS Skeet 20 ga 2000 - skeet only haven't shot since I got serious about trap in about 2004
    2003- XS 28 ga 30" sporting/ skeet for fun
    2001/2 - XT Trap doubles only
    XS Skeet Stock got put on the XS to keep the comb from getting my cheek and haven't shot the XS skeet 12 ga. since 2003
    Sold the XT and BT99 and bought a dedicated trap combo and have shot it exclusively for trap since 2005.
    2005- Perazzi MX10RS 34" single barrel 32" double barrels shot it ever since although I had a custom stock made to fit me in about 2010

It all depends on what you plan on doing. I can keep writing but if you want more info just let me know.

Chris

wildwest, Beetle-Kill and mywaynow like this.
  6. WildWildWest

WildWildWest

WildWildWest here, I guess the best opinion is always honesty. I have much experience with shotgunning. The CX is marketed as an all around shotgun. The reality is there is no such beast. A field gun to be precise is actually 50/50 and and does not shoot lower. The 60/40 is intended to shoot 3" high or has adj ribs, if you want to adj, so you can see the target. In reality the CX is a trap gun at 60/40 most SC guys like a 50/50 and hunting is a 50/50. I had two hunting guns down and took my citori trap to SD, big mistake, bird hunting and trap hunting are two different shoots, also as the previous post says my trap model is over 9 lb. My experience is 90 mph trap or international not 45 mph ata

Stinny, wildwest and Beetle-Kill like this.
  7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

:salute:
    My 870 just texted me, says it needs a hug.

8. CtRider

CtRider

My preferred turkey weapon!

mike bayerl likes this.
  9. mywaynow

mywaynow

And my first gun, 870 Wingmaster.

I was mistaken with the 28 inch barrel on the CX, they only make 30 and 32, so the 30 is what is ordered.

mike bayerl likes this.