So, we got a request for an inspection with our current home and auto insurance. We have always had an open FP, but now we have an EPA approved insert, with a SS liner. We have always paid a little extra for having an open FP since we bought the place in 2008. I feel that there's no reason to need an inspection, when we've been paying a little bit more for being able to burn wood, and the new stove is safer than the open FP. I'm sure someone has had this happen before. Any advice? We will be shopping for insurance just in case.
Farmers knows we have a pre-EPA stove as our sole heating source, and they never asked to set foot in the house, let alone inspect it.
Take and crank up your gas stove ti high. Tell meathead inspector this is a representation of an open fireplace. Place a cast iron pan on the burner for long enough to say this is a representation of the insert. Grab his hand and before he can react place it in the pan. Say nice and warm but it could get too hot if you are an idiot. Take pan off and say give me your hand now to put directly into the flame. When he objects say looks like you won't have a problem with the insert either then right!
State Farm gave me a pamphlet when I asked about a wood stove. Said the added coverage is $40 per year. Then the girl says she would need to come out and take a look at it...I didnt see the need for her to see it...I guess she is versed in wood stove installs, IDK... The chimney guy installed the 6" SS liner and set my stove up and gave me the go-ahead. I went with it. This is not advice.
They came out to look at ours once. Said okay. Nothing more. Then a few years ago we had a contractor come and put the addition on. He has the same insurance agent as we do. The contractor told us the agent asked him about the new stove we put in 9 years ago and he told them it was great. End of story.