In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Good news... bad news.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mike bayerl, Apr 25, 2016.

  1. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Bad news first... As I have mentioned several times before, we had a pretty massive die off of our chestnut oaks. I hear through the grapevine that it was some type of borer(?)
    Good news is, I have several dozen fully mature oaks, 12-24+" dbh x 50-80 ft that are dead standing on my property and ready to be made into firewood. These standing dead oaks are one of the major reasons that wife and I finally broke down and bought a tractor. I've been slowly working on cleaning out some skidding roads to the clumps of dead oaks. Here's a picture of a stand of deads that I have almost reached with the tractor. You can see the dead trees by looking for the peeling bark on the trunks and/or the defoliated tops without twigs, bud or leaves.
    [​IMG]
    Just in this one picture, I see 8-9+ dead oaks, all less than 50 yds from my splitting and stacking area. That would be close to a full winter's worth of heat for us. Thank goodness we have plenty of other oaks, birches, beeches etc. to take over for the dying ones.
     
  2. Nitrodave

    Nitrodave

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,083
    Likes Received:
    7,444
    Location:
    Grayling Mi.
    I see no trees.... Bad link
     
    Barcroftb and wildwest like this.
  3. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,458
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    The picture isn't working, but I'm sure you'll fix that. :)
     
    Barcroftb and wildwest like this.
  4. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,375
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    We don't get the picture, but we've got the picture, get it?
    (We've all seen dead trees before)
     
  5. Will C

    Will C

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2015
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    4,987
    Location:
    New York
    Sad to see dying trees-but plenty of good close wood.
     
  6. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    That's funny. Pict shows up fine for me. Let's try this.
    [​IMG]
     
  7. UncleJoe

    UncleJoe

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2014
    Messages:
    1,467
    Likes Received:
    5,854
    Location:
    SC Pa
    I see both pics. Yep. They're dead. :)
     
  8. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
  9. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,417
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    They're showing up fine for me.
     
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Sad to see the older trees dying but you gotta get firewood somewhere
     
  11. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,417
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
  12. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,417
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Is the ground where these beasties will fall very rocky?
     
    wildwest likes this.
  13. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Why yes it is.
     
    Horkn and wildwest like this.
  14. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    I've heard that as soon as you cut them they're ready to burn....
    ya know, cos they're dead and all:whistle:
    True story, right Barcroftb? :rofl: :lol::sherlock:
     
  15. Barcroftb

    Barcroftb

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2015
    Messages:
    3,160
    Likes Received:
    18,626
    Location:
    The Mitten
    Eric VW a little English chap once told me if it was dead when you cut, it it was good to go. He said it was probably poor draft.:rofl: :lol::whistle::rofl: :lol:
     
  16. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Life's short
    Hit ignore


    :handshake:
     
  17. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    Wierd ...
    This story somehow makes me thirsty...:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:

    Sorry for the derail Mike!:Yar:


    Just wanted to say. Thats going to be some great btu's for sure!
    Just be careful sir. I know you will. Those standing dead trees also have dead roots.
    I watched my neighbor cut one last fall and it leaned a couple degrees when he started the back cut and then up rooted :bug:
     
  18. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,375
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Man, I just knew I would regret not attending! Didn't think it would happen so soon though!
     
  19. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Pics showing up fine today
     
  20. Gasifier

    Gasifier

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    20,495
    Likes Received:
    104,020
    Location:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, NY
    Great firewood there! And a tractor can be used for soooooo many things! Like taking a vacation, hauling it up to Gasifier's house with your chainsaws, and trying them out on thinning his woods!:D:thumbs:
     
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016