In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bird Houses

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Shawn Curry, Apr 10, 2016.

  1. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2014
    Messages:
    3,755
    Likes Received:
    22,702
    Location:
    Western NY
    I should probably start a "Shawn's weekend projects" thread. Hopefully you all enjoy seeing the stuff I come up with.

    I was looking at a couple little birdhouses that my grandfather made, and realized they were probably little scrap bin projects like I've been making lately. So I thought it could make another good birthday present for my sister in case she doesn't like that crummy walnut crate. :)

    Another really simple project - I just let the width of the board determine the dimensions. I found the center and laid out the roof lines from there, then added an additional board width for the 'main' part of the house.

    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
     
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Looking good again Shawn. You even got your drill tabled all jigged up.
     
    wildwest, Eric VW and Shawn Curry like this.
  3. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
    I have a couple questions about bird houses. One, squirrels get at my bird houses and chew out the opening to accommodate them. What kind of paint can I use that I can put on now and not discourage the birds?
    thanks
     
    wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Larry, you can Google birdhouse hole repair and look at images of different repairs. They sell sheet metal plates that squirrels can't chew through. I've seen cavity nesting birds like nuthatches widen holes out, but never a squirrel.

    You can also drill the original size hole in a square piece of wood and screw it over the enlarged hole. At least until the repair piece is chewed out.
     
    wildwest, savemoney and Shawn Curry like this.
  5. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    They look great!
     
    wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  6. Locust Post

    Locust Post

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    8,952
    Likes Received:
    52,512
    Location:
    N. E. OH
    I would enjoy some bird houses and feeders but I only do hummingbird feeders as I already get the solar cover covered with the dive bombing effects just from the few trees we have.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  7. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,669
    Likes Received:
    144,712
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    Idea? I apologize in advance because I may be confusing you with another member.... Could antler sheds could be a cool addition and provide a look out perch for avain parents?
     
    Shawn Curry likes this.
  8. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,525
    Likes Received:
    95,598
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Nice work. I like the shingled roofs. they look nice not painted.
     
    campinspecter and Shawn Curry like this.