Hey guys, does anyone have a Reverse Camera for their car or truck. I'd like to get one for the wife for her birthday. She has a nice little Malibu, but looking over the rear deck in reverse is impossible. The online reviews are worthless. Anyone got a suggestion. I'd like to find something that uses the bluetooth wireless technology and is about $100 range. But I'm flexible on both.
What's your goal? Stop her from hitting stuff? Build situational awareness? Make it easier to parallel park? In Japan, they put a mirror on the back of many of their vehicles that allows you to look through the rear view, see the other mirror and see your back bumper from the driver's seat. These work better in vans and suvs but the concept can be adapted to just about any vehicle. I've also seen them on delivery trucks (FedEx and UPS) to allow the driver to see from the driver's seat whether or not there is someone riding on or hanging on to their bumper. My wife turns around and looks through the back window when backing up. Tried to get her to use the left, right and rearview mirrors to no avail. I know this doesn't answer your question, just another way of looking at it. In the attached image of my old Delica, the "bumper view" mirror is on the left side and the driver's seat was on the right side.
Thanks for the reply... the problem is we have a pretty lengthy driveway with a stonewall at the end of it, that the little lady has hit a couple times. The rear veiw from this particular drivers seat is terrible. I realize there are other ways to solve the problem but we rented a similar car (new Ford Taurus) and they have a great reverse camera system in them, and she liked that. So I may get her one if I can find a decent one.
You're welcome. Sounds like the reverse camera may help you there. Another method would be to put one of her prized possessions at the end of the driveway in front of the stone wall.
My wife's Terrain has a factory camera in it, my only gripe with it is it gets occluded pretty quickly during the winter weather here. Otherwise, her car would be dangerous to back up without it. I can put the bumper within an inch of anything I want, pretty cool. Sorry that didn't help you much but I think getting her a cam is a great idea!