Looks like my first score in the spring will be a couple Bartlett pear trees from the old lady's aunt and uncle. It will be a longer trip than I'd like to make, but it's family so I don't mind. Doesn't hurt that it's one of the more unique smoke trees in this area.
Great stuff.Neighbor cut down his mostly dead 25yr old Pear tree last September.Guess who ended up with 3 wheelbarrows of wood for the smoker? My pear is about 30 yrs now,had storm damage in the past & most years I'm lucky to get 2-3 small pears from it thanks to the squirrels.I'll have to bring it down in a few years cause its not real healthy...
We are going to keep all of our new fruit trees cut to dwarfed size to allow for easy netting thanks to all the vermin. In about five years this place will be bringing in some big fruit crops, this year should be the start of it. Expected fruit crops for this year: gooseberries, currants, raspberries and rhubarb.