In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Truck leveling kits

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mywaynow, Mar 26, 2016.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow

Anyone done this to their pickup? I want to add a 2 inch front end leveling kit to my 2015 Silverado. I am going up on tire size and want the clearance. I see some kits with simple coil shock extenders, and other kits with extenders plus lower arm replacements. There is a huge cost difference. Just wondering if the lower arms are needed when going with the 2 inch.

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I believe you get what you pay for.
    Ride, handling, tire wear, and safety should not be sacrificed. Do your homework first.
    Before and after pics needed too.;)

3. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

2" lift with the original rods will only throw the front out of line a "little bit". You will loose some traction, handling, and tire life but not a great deal. Then, that first wet day with unevenly worn tires, you might slide off the road or you might not.

Even if you only drive slow on dry roads the cost of replacing prematurely worn tires will cost more than you saved on the cheaper set.

On something that weighs over a ton and can move at highway speeds I believe it should be done right. Don't go cheap on safety...

KaptJaq

TurboDiesel, bobdog2o02 and mywaynow like this.
  4. Gary_602z

Gary_602z

Just drive around with a load of wood in the back! Should level it right up!:D

Gary

TurboDiesel, basod, OhioStihl and 2 others like this.
  5. Pyroholic

Pyroholic

I've had the 2" kit on my Sierra for over 5 years. The one with just the spacers that's about $55. It looks good, and functions exactly the same as stock, 70000 miles on the tires without abnormal wear.

Throw the kit on and have it aligned afterwards. Nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure you get a real 2" out of it, but it does level the truck nicely.

6. Horkn

Horkn

Yep, those puck kits are great. The trucks are lower on front to protect pedestrians. Yes, Seriously. That's also one reason why there's more plastic and less metal on the front of trucks now. If you hit a pedestrian, they are less likely to be seriously injured.

I had a 2" budget boost, coil spacer puck style like those for trucks on the front, on my grand Cherokee. There was no difference on ride or handling.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  7. bassJAM

bassJAM

For just a 2" you'll probably be fine with just the spacer. Every truck is different, but with my Frontier a 2" spacer was fine by itself, but once you jumped to 3" the truck needed new lowers. I'm happy with my 2" "lift", it probably raised the front about 1.5"

To be sure, I'd spend some time on the Chevy forums. Those guys should know.

Horkn likes this.
  8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I get the clearance issue, but when i leveled kit is loaded down even a 3500 can look like a tacoma in the "hood"....

Horkn likes this.
  9. basod

basod

I'm due for a new set of tires on my 09 Silverado and have been debating about a leveling kit.

There appears to be a puck style spacer that sets on the top of the strut and a different kit with spacer mounting on the lower strut mount.
    Neither appear too difficult to DIY. Advantages of one over the other?
    [​IMG]

Horkn likes this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

basod , I can tell you that the puck style ones are easy to install, and require nothing beyond an alignment check/ adjustment if you think you need it.

11. prell 73

prell 73

I put them on my 2011chevy easy to do

basod and Horkn like this.
  12. basod

basod

I ordered the Rough Country kit posted above.
    I'll snap a few pics when I get around to installing them