In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What should I do with these?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by lukem, Mar 26, 2016.

  1. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    20160326_192454.jpg Free walnut cants....kiln dried.

    Need some ideas.
     
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Nice score.

    Massive table legs for a walnut slab top table.

    Bench for a porch.

    Frame for a man cave chair with leather cushions, beverage holder and a bolt on vise.

    Workbench frame.

    Hall tree storage bench.
     
    Horkn, Eric VW and Stinny like this.
  3. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    I think I'm going to resaw them into lumber. Should have a new sawmill in the family in a few weeks. They're just too big for any furniture projects.
     
    Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  4. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I Googled timber frame furniture and drooled a little.
     
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    I just did too Jon... really liked this table...

    [​IMG]
     
  6. mike bayerl

    mike bayerl

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2014
    Messages:
    3,924
    Likes Received:
    22,456
    Location:
    Central PA
    Leave them big until you figure out what you want to do with them. 12/4+ kd stock is not always easy to find and surely commands a premium price . You can always resaw them later. Invariably, right after you resaw them, you will come up with "the perfect project" but it will require stock just a smidge thicker than you have... I would not use these for the first cuts on a new mill either, leave that for less desirable wood.
     
    Horkn, Eric VW and LongShot like this.
  7. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,627
    Location:
    IN
    I'm just going to store them for a while. Un loaded them today. My back hates me for it.
     
    Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  8. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,375
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Who cares? They're free!:D