In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What kind of Den is this?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Mar 24, 2016.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I was going through these old pictures when I found this, I'm not sure where on the property it is. 100_0752.JPG
     
    wildwest, milleo, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,578
    Location:
    US
    Fox?
    Too bad there's nothing else in the pic to scale it by, unless the time/date stamp was "scalable".......
    Just be careful around it(if you stumble on its location) as the temps warm up.
     
    wildwest, Horkn and papadave like this.
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I think it's off of a secondary trail we use to ride every so often, if I'm correct it's in the area where I grabbed a downed Cherry.

    If I get time tomorrow, I'll check it out.
     
  4. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,578
    Location:
    US
    The limbs around the Den hole look a little punked so I guess you'll leave them alone?
    :thumbs:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    wildwest, Horkn and thewoodlands like this.
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We've had a Fox in the backyard (woods) chasing some food this year, it's the first time in three years the Fox has been around.
     
    wildwest, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,578
    Location:
    US
    Hope you can find the location again. Could you pull back on a current shot then, so we can see what kind of tailings this mining little critter deposited in the creation of this Den? Please, Sir?:yes::)
     
    wildwest, Horkn and thewoodlands like this.
  7. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    This is a Fox den I found on the net.
    [​IMG]
     
    wildwest, milleo, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Sure will, if I'm correct on the location, it should be on a southwest facing hill.
     
    wildwest, Horkn and Eric VW like this.
  9. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,507
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Sure don't claim to be Jeremiah Johnson, but the first thing I thought of was fox, also.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  10. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    Fox or maybe a fisher......................
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  11. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,287
    Likes Received:
    66,699
    Location:
    IN
    'Squatch. For sure. Dump 100 gallons of diesel down it and set it off. Your nation will thank you.
     
  12. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  13. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Definitely Fox or wild boar. Whichever is normally in your area.
     
    wildwest and Canadian border VT like this.
  14. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,550
    Likes Received:
    141,578
    Location:
    US
    Jeremiah Yooper, maybe.....:whistle:
    :rofl: :lol:
     
    wildwest, unclefess and yooperdave like this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,214
    Location:
    Central MI
    Could also be coyote.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  16. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,731
    Likes Received:
    224,507
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Coyote could get in and out of that hole, but I think their's are larger than that one.
     
    wildwest and Eric VW like this.
  17. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I went for a ride to the area that I thought this was in, strike 1.
     
  18. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,985
    Likes Received:
    312,214
    Location:
    Central MI
    They can surely surprise you though. I recall not that long ago we had a den behind the house. I did not think any chance of being coyote, but lo and behold, it was coyote going in and out and then out come a bunch of little coyotes too! Amazing how small that hole was.
     
    yooperdave and Well Seasoned like this.