In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Insulating foundation wall in new workshop

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Mar 10, 2016.

  1. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Hello
    An 8" thick wall of concrete has an R-Value of 1 same as a single pane window!!!
    Now Mike do it right from Holmes on Homes uses R6 Roxul board.
    However I found some 2" thick R10 foam board at Lowes. The foundation wall is only 12" high but wow is it freezing cold in the winter. Even the cement floor is a lot warmer.
    Therefore to save some space, I did not frame such a small area and for a continuous thermal barrier, I glued the foam board to the foundation and glued some birch plywood to the foam board then used 3-3/4" tapcon concrete screws to secure the wood and composite white trim board at the bottom for additional support and protection. Then I used some car Bondo to fill the counter sunk Phillip head concrete screws. Now the wood, foam and foundation is approx R12 !!! 12 times warmer!!!! I will also paint it.
    What is the best way to cap this? Should there be more insulation under the cap.
    See pic below:
     

    Attached Files:

    wildwest, tractorman44 and schlot like this.
  2. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,749
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    composite trim board in case of sweating. 2 inch foam on top would not hurt either. then your plywood will be short.
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I agree. Foam board the cap as well. Unless you're trying to do something special in there, Maple ply is a pretty expensive option as a wall covering.
     
    wildwest likes this.
  4. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Thanks
    I like those ideas. How should it be attached securely?
     
    wildwest and papadave like this.
  5. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    I found some stuff for foam board at HD called PL300 foamboard construction adhesive. It won't burn or melt the board.
     
    wildwest, schlot and tractorman44 like this.
  6. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Like this?
     

    Attached Files:

    wildwest and papadave like this.
  7. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Was that a good pic?
    I just got 4 new gimbal LED Par 30 Can lights for the workshop :)
    LOL
     

    Attached Files:

    Canadian border VT and wildwest like this.
  8. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Project is going slow, but that is good. I found that the sill seal used is the standard seal that was purchased at Home Depot does let air infiltrate. So I got the clear hi temp caulking and sealed the sill seal on the inside and also the back top of the sill board where the bottom of the T111 is also letting air in! Air sealing is important before insulating! See red arrows in pic below.

    Then I got some 1/2" XPS R2.5 foam board and Azek 1x8 Trim for the shelf part. It is routable. My friend has a router table so after cutting he took it home to put a nice rounded edge on the outside edge.
    Shop AZEK Less Than 1-in x 8-in x 8-ft Pre-Finished PVC Board at Lowes.com

    Since the foam board is 1/2" thick we got more PVC trim to go right under the lip of the knee wall shelf to hide the foam board. Hope to have it done Saturday. :)
     

    Attached Files:

    wildwest, Woodwidow and papadave like this.
  9. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Nice job Don.
    Yep, that's the stuff.
    You're doing exactly what I did when I pulled apart two rooms here. Caulked/foamed wherever 2 materials meet to seal air, the did insulating. Very important.
     
    Canadian border VT and wildwest like this.
  10. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Good Dave
    Did you notice a big difference?
     
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Oh yeah, big difference.
    I still have more to do, but I can't tear anything else up until I'm done doing what I've already started. :rofl: :lol:
    A new back door is on the schedule (I already have it), which will help the breezes coming in from that.
     
    Canadian border VT and wildwest like this.
  12. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Kneewall shelf is done.
    We routed the top edge with a table router for a nice even rounded edge!
    Now I can install the pellet stove with Selkirk DT and get some heat!
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Woodwidow, papadave and wildwest like this.
  13. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,680
    Likes Received:
    144,786
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
  14. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,663
    Likes Received:
    130,818
    Location:
    Vermont
    Well done :yes:
     
    papadave likes this.
  15. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Lookin' gooder there, Don.
     
  16. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Oh that darn shelf sticks out and is making the stove install a little harder!!! LOL

    Notice in the second pic, the outlet box in the forefront has low voltage t-stat wire that will be attached to banana jacks! The other end goes to the opposite wall in the middle of the shop that will have the Lowes Iris T-stat for Smartphone control for shop temperature. :)

    You guys know I like the DT
    with the vacuum clean out !!! LOL
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  17. don2222

    don2222

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2013
    Messages:
    3,438
    Likes Received:
    4,874
    Location:
    Salem NH
    Got the rim joists done today.
    Using the Rutland high temp clear silicone caulking, we caulked the upper joist that the advantec floor sheathing lies and the bottom joist that sits on the 2x6 framing. That spider web says air infiltration needs air sealing!
    Then cut XPS 2" foam board and glued in with the foam glue and sprayed great stuff around the edges

    Also started the Roxul - R23 for 2x6

    Pic 1 - spider web
    Pic 2 - XPS the rim joist!
    Pic 3 - Roxul comfort batts
     

    Attached Files:

    bogieb and Canadian border VT like this.