This came down across a secondary trail during the winter so I took care of it today, when I was loading the trailer up with rounds, I could see some clouds south of me but I kept loading until I heard a large bang. I thought it was the storm they're calling for later today so I drove out of the woods going pretty fast, when I came home I took the trailer off, that's when I heard a fighter jet from Fort Drum fly over the area, it wasn't thunder or lightning I heard, he/she must have gone super sonic, I'm just glad it's ours.
??? I have several burls in my woods and have no idea what to do with them. I know there is a niche market for them, but that's about it. Please post pictures of it if you do!
I've seen a guy on the net use one of these on a grinder to do a bowl, I have the grinder so I'm thinking about ordering this. NEW 4" DIA WARRIOR Wood Carving Disc 4" or 4-1/2" Angle Grinders! 61638 SEALED It would be nice to make a bowl or something from the burls we have, most are on standing trees.
The grain could be really interesting in there too - you never really know until you open it up. If it was me, I wouldn't cut into it until I had some idea what I wanted to do with it. If you're thinking bowls, that could be the way to do it, then you could end up with sort of a matching pair.
Those chain cutters are borderline scary. I have one and tried it on a cedar log and all I can say is hang on it tight. If it catches the grain, it can jump. I put it up there with the more dangerous tools I own. They do work well, but require more readiness if it jumps. That burl would be interesting to see what it looks like on the inside. If you want to work it up, your cuts lines look good. It could be worth some scratch to a turner or carver. I'd probably noodle it down the middle to maximize the material for each half. The diagonal cut gives you tapered pieces. Just my .02
How ever you cut the burl, please post some pics of the results, will you? I remember hearing sonic booms all the time back in the early 60's. Hardly ever now a days.
Yeah, all both of them! I also think the Air Force got tired of reimbursing civilians for picture windows....
We only got a few of the remnants of that today. Rain and snow showers. Nothing serious, which is fine with me.